W3C Again - just a question

liunx

Or two maybe..<br />
<br />
Is it necessary to have the approval of W3C<br />
s validator to put this:<br />
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"><br />
<br />
On your pages? I don't know if I should/can or shouldn't can't. I checked a couple pages where I have Amazon Script ads and it is a mess according to them. all kinds of letters they don't "recognize". <br />
<br />
Another thing - if you put a "type" in a javascript code, it disables it - the effect of the code. One where I added the type totally disabled my background, banners and everything but my text. I did a search and hunted a site call itoolbox for Java/WC3 and cannot find anything about this. Maybe I didn't search right, I don't know, but I was just wondering about these two things and why you can't run Java script. I still have the code on the home page, but can't see the effects - in that case, I have the scrollbars colored and with the "type" in the code, it just doesn't color the bars.<br />
<br />
i'm so confused again. And there is no way I'm doing 650 plus pages with all those so-called errors in the Amazon codes, but I would like to understand this a bit better, if I could.<br />
<br />
thanks!<!--content-->Jeni,<br />
<br />
css is a lot different than javascript. you can't use this<br />
<br />
<STYLE type="javascript"><br />
BODY {<br />
SCROLLBAR-FACE-COLOR: red; SCROLLBAR-HIGHLIGHT-COLOR: white; SCROLLBAR-SHADOW-COLOR: black; SCROLLBAR-3DLIGHT-COLOR: black; SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: white; SCROLLBAR-TRACK-COLOR: black; SCROLLBAR-DARKSHADOW-COLOR: red<br />
<br />
}<br />
<br />
</STYLE><br />
<br />
as it thinks it is javascript. <scripts> need the type="text/javascript"<br />
<br />
and css <style> tags need type="text/css"<br />
<br />
<style type="text/css"></style><br />
<br />
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"></scrit><br />
<br />
if you don't have<br />
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <br />
in the page the validator won't even validate your page. you have to have it in. an as far as I have seen that line doesn't do anyhitng to the rest of the page. the browser sees it an dthen after that it is discarded.<br />
<br />
doesn't all this make since. :)<!--content-->I'm not sure, but I think that that line is necessary so the validator knows which standard you are writing to. If it's not there, you get an error telling you something to that effect.<!--content-->Originally posted by Android <br />
I'm not sure, but I think that that line is necessary so the validator knows which standard you are writing to. If it's not there, you get an error telling you something to that effect. <br />
<br />
Your right Android.<br />
<br />
Warning: No Character Encoding detected! To assure correct validation, processing, and display, it is important that the character encoding is properly labeled.<br />
<br />
it would say that if you dont have the Doctype info :D<!--content-->if you don't have <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> in the page the validator won't even validate your page. you have to have it in. an as far as I have seen that line doesn't do anyhitng to the rest of the page. the browser sees it an dthen after that it is discarded. <br />
<br />
<br />
Yuppers - saw that one a lot - their "warning", that is. now, this java and css - totally confused I am. :confused: But I'm going to stick your info in my W3C file and maybe one day it will click. I want to learn CSS next - if I am ever done changing my pages! I take it you can and maybe even should have <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> on all pages, correct? Because I'm sitting here adding it to my pages -hundreds and hundreds cuz of those stupid recipes...hehe. What a boring job. But we don't have to meet their requirements to place that on the page, do we? Because I'm sticking it there anyway. That's supposed to help you rank in the SE's, correct?<br />
<br />
Just when I think I'm getting somewhere, I get thrown for a loop. I wrote - well e-mail, them and asked them about those Amazon codes. I had more errors in those than in my own and the one's of my own I understand with the exception of the javascript, but that's not my own, either!<br />
<br />
Okay, shut up jeni..lol.<br />
<br />
Thanks for the replies, all - I checked some big sites and they have the line at the top but don't meet all W3C requirements, either so if the big boys can do it, I figure I can, too! :)<!--content-->I think it wont have any effect in your site's rankings in major search engines.<!--content-->No? I read that somewhere. What does it do then?<!--content-->welll jeni, if you can understand it you can read this (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/doctype.asp">http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... octype.asp</a><!-- m -->) <br />
<br />
mostly what it is for is for the browser. you are telling the browser that you are running html 4.01 and nothing less, so in that perspective you can't use anything less than 4.01.<br />
<br />
that is the way I understand it anyway<!--content-->Okay, I think I get it - it tells whatever browswer what code your using? Or something like that? Well, this page sure has a lot of into, thanks - I'm going to keep that. Some of it is Greek, but some of it I get the general idea. I keep trying Scoutt! And some things click here and there and start making sense, but that W3C site - I've never had so much difficulty understanding anything in my life before! Except maybe algebra - stunk at that! Not surprising, I bet! :)<!--content-->

Back