VirtualBox Ubuntu LAMP Stack development, with SVN and CruiseControl/phpUnderControl?

4bugil

I've got a Windows 7 machine upon which I do both PHP/MySql Dev, and .NET/C#/Sql Server coding. Due to a recent re-install, I thought it might be an ideal time to try and keep my machine a bit cleaner rather than install both Apache and IIS, etc. I installed VirtualBox, with Ubuntu 10.04 as the guest OS, with the plan to move my PHP development from my old Windows/Apache/MySql platform onto this virtual image. In addition to this, I want to add CruiseControl/phpUnderControl to my PHP development process.So far I've got Ubuntu 10.04 installed with a LAMP stack, plus Netbeans for PHP, MySQL Workbench, etc, which is effectively the same as my old Windows dev set up, but I've now also installed SVN and CruiseControl (I've not installed phpUnderControl yet, but that is the next step).My question is, can I use this virtual image as both my "local" development environment and as a build server, so that I don't need to clutter my native windows machine with MySql/PHP related software (meaning I can keep it nice and clean for .NET development)?I imagine I'd need the virtual webserver to be able to serve both a "local" dev version of any given project I'm working on, as well as a staging version, which would build using cruisecontrol/svn commits?Or should I separate my dev and build servers, perhaps keep the local development in windows, and only use the virtual image for the build server? or perhaps have two separate virtual machines for different purposes?I'd appreciate some advice on the best way to set this up. One of the projects I want to work on is quite complex so I want to make sure I get this up in the right way before I start the project, so that I can ensure the project is well maintained with versioning, unit tests and continuous integration, should I ever need to involve other developers on the project.

Back