View source code with Notepad?

windows

I'm not sure if this question fits this forum, but as I'm just learning HTML, I like to view source on websites that interest me. Sometimes, when I do this, I get a message that says the source file is too big for Notepad to handle. If I try to view with Wordpad, it looks like gobble-gook. How can I view source code if the file is too big for Notepad?<br />
<br />
Thanks in advance!<!--content-->Hi Rifter...<br />
<br />
What OS and Notepad version do you use (I've never experienced the problem that you described).<br />
<br />
Did you ever try "save as" and do it that way?<br />
<br />
never too big for Notepad...<br />
k<!--content-->notepad frequently gives up on big files - i think over something like 200k and it gets stroppy, so granted that's going to cover most sites, but not all.<br />
<br />
However, there shouldnt be much difference between viewing it in wordpad to notepad - the only problem being that i think wordpad always wordwraps, so some lines will get stuck onto multiple lines.<br />
<br />
I think the only alternative is to use a HTML viewer, like shudder frontpage, or dreamweaver or something like maguma studio (although that's more of a php tool).<!--content-->I'm using WIN98 SE. I usually just right-click and hit view source while in my browser. Then, sometimes a dialog box will come up that says the file is too big for Notepad, Do you want to open this file with Wordpad instead?. If I hit no, it just goes back to the browser. If I hit yes, Wordpad opens and the source code looks like scribbles from my 2 year old.<!--content-->I just went to Cnet.com and after doing the view source it said file to large for Notepad. I used Wordpad and it looked just fine. So I guess it doesn't look weird everytime, but sometimes when Wordpad opens the file, it looks like do-do.<!--content-->next time you come across a link that does this send me the link because I am using Win98 SE so we'll see if it does that with me.<br />
<br />
Cnet looks fine with me.<!--content-->Side note gentlemen:<br />
I just came across a fantastic plug in for IE the other day, installed it, and it works great.<br />
Do a search for Internet source. After isntalation, wehn you see a page you want the source code, then click on it, and it shows you just about everything listed on that page, and its sources....<br />
Bit help program. No I did not write it, no I am not getting maney for your buying a copy. But this works, and works far better than notepad.<!--content-->Rifter,<br />
<br />
I've experienced the same thing, but never on the web (as far as I can remember), only with ordinary text files from some other source. Almost sounds like a resource problem. How much memory/free hard drive space do you have?<br />
Win98 can be really poor about memory mgmt. Next time you have the problem, try rebooting (I know, but it's the only way to clear your memory), then go straight back to the site & try again. If that works, it's time for an upgrade.<br />
<br />
Hope that helps.<br />
<br />
Aronya<!--content-->One of the things with IE is that when your "Temporary Internet Files" folder is full or near full you can't view any source code. Try increasing the size of this folder and see if it makes a difference.<!--content-->Thanks everyone for the help. <br />
<br />
Aronya1,<br />
I'm using Win98SE with a 20gig HD which is only half full and I have 384 megs of RAM. I don't think I'm having any memory problems. I get this problem every time I try to view source on CNET.com (and a few others). Try it with yours and let me know what happens.<br />
<br />
Damien,<br />
I clear my temp files everytime I log off so I don't think that is the problem. Thanks for the advice though.<!--content-->Hi Rifter,<br />
<br />
I just tested CNET with Win95 on a Pentium 90, 40MB of RAM (not my daily work machine). Same problem you are having.<br />
<br />
The amount of drive space or memory isn't the issue. It's the way windows handles the allocation of it. MS apps (including Windows) are notorious for not cleaning up when things are shut down, etc. Do you have the problem if you go to CNET as soon as your system boots up?<br />
<br />
One thing you said in your original post makes me wonder: you said it looks like gobbledy-gook when opened in Wordpad. It shouldn't. You are only looking at simple text files. I'm guessing here, but what is the default language on your computer? Look at your Internet Options under Tools in IE. You'll find a Languages button. If it's not "English (United States) [en-us]" then maybe that has something to do with how it looks in Wordpad.<br />
<br />
I think somebody suggested saving the file, then opening it. That will work for sure & isn't much of a hassle. My money says Notepad will open it then. The CNET home page is only 83k in size.<br />
<br />
Good luck,<br />
Aronya1<!--content-->

Back