Very grainy text

liunx

Hey everyone,<br />
<br />
I'm having a little bit of trouble with some large text: it's too grainy. I triyed making pictures, but I can't get the right blue AND get transparency (only gifs can be transparent, but they can only have an 8-bit pallette). THe site is <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.specialtysensor.com">www.specialtysensor.com</a><!-- w --> if anyone would like to look at it. An example of my problem is on the welcome screen, where it says "welcome to specialtysensor.com"<br />
<br />
If anyoen has an idea of how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated.<br />
<br />
Thanks alot,<br />
Kyle<!--content-->Dead link. Care to try again?<!--content-->It works for me.<!--content-->the link works for me, here it is again:<br />
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.specialtysensor.com">www.specialtysensor.com</a><!-- w --><!--content-->It's not grainy on my screen Kyle.<br />
Your referring to the blue "specialtysensor" followed by the grey ".com"?<br />
<br />
If you did that with CSS(*) there is no reason why it would be grainy anyway (the logo in the upper-left-hand corner is a bit fuzzy to my eyes though). <br />
<br />
? Don't know what else to say.<br />
k<br />
<br />
* I didn't look TOO deep into your source code, but I didn't see where that text is scripted onto the page. I'm only assuming you used CSS.<!--content-->Actually, I only used the font tag to format it, along with a div + css to position it. You don't find that the text looks jagged, or rough? I find that the 'y' in specialty is very jagged. Maybe I used the wrong word (grainy), so please let me rephrase: the words are jagged. I am aware of the blurry logo, but thank you for pointing it out, one can never have too much feedback.<!--content-->OH. OK.<br />
J-A-G-G-E-D<br />
Gotcha. I see.<br />
<br />
Well, yes, a bit jagged I suppose. But thats probably just a a byproduct of stepping-up the font size to where something like that would be noticable.<br />
<br />
I don't think that you are going to be able to do anything about that (unless you want to look for a different font that doesn't degrade as much when it is enlarged to that size). And besides, I didn't even really notice it (what with the fuzzy logo-thingy fuzzin' out all over the place. KIDDING! Just kidding!).<br />
<br />
I thought it looked fine. I think that maybe your micro-critiquing that aspect. I wouldn't sweat it.<br />
<br />
Has this helped put you at ease? (a little bit, at least?)<br />
k<!--content-->To be honest it's not me that wants it smoother, it's my customer. I've explained to him that no one even notices the minute details like that, and he is slowly beginning to accept it. I've thought about changing the font, but that's the only one that we feel fits with the style of the page. And yes, your answers have helped me out, so thanks for your time.<br />
<br />
Thanks again,<br />
Kyle<br />
<br />
P.S. If you think the logo is fuzzy now, you should have seen it before I 'fixed' it! lol<!--content-->Originally posted by kyleg <br />
I'm having a little bit of trouble with some large text: it's too grainy. I triyed making pictures, but I can't get the right blue AND get transparency (only gifs can be transparent, but they can only have an 8-bit pallette).<br />
<br />
<br />
No, PNG can also be transparent, and further they are not even limited to an 8-bit pallet but can use full 32-bit (or 64-bit if you feel like it, but that's pretty academic since graphic cards don't support 48bit color).<br />
<br />
In short just save you antialiased RBG image as PNG and you're done.<!--content-->Maybe your customer doesn't have font smoothing? Or have it turned off.<!--content-->

Back