Variable Height Possible in CSS?

liunx

After doing a lot of lurking on this forum, and a lot of reading, I successfully redesigned my company's web site using CSS and HTML 4.01 Strict. It was a great learning experience and I am very happy with the results.<br />
<br />
There is one issue I have though. Very generally, my site's content is contained within a box (DIV). The width of this box is variable, so it increases with resolution. The height, however, is fixed. I could not find a way to get a variable height working in IE.<br />
<br />
Is there a way to do this? I feel as if I have exhausted every resource. This is the one issue I have the site, as it looks a bit silly at higher resolutions, being so wide but not very tall.<br />
<br />
Any help would be appreciated. :)<!--content-->variable height is hard to do well. think about it: the height is not the size of the page, but the size of the stage, or viewable area, which doesn't include the toolbars or any content that scrolls down past the viewing area.<!--content-->I find it is hard to do at all, let alone properly. IE doesn't seem to like variable height. If I try it, it won't display the DIV at all.<!--content-->why can't you just use 100% for the height?<!--content-->

Back