validation question

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all!<br />
I've got one error on my html document and its really bugging me. Im coding the page on XHTML (DTD XHTML 1.0 STRICT) I have a table cell containing a <ul>. The problem is that i get an error message that says <br />
<br />
"document type does not allow element "ul" here, missing "object" "ins" "del"...... start tag"<br />
<br />
can anyone help?<br />
<br />
Thanks!<br />
Mike<br />
<br />
heres the code<br />
<br />
<ul><br />
<li>tips.....</li><br />
<li>case....</li><br />
<ask.........</li><br />
</ul><br />
<br />
simple, but it doesn't validate.<!--content--><ul><br />
<li>tips.....</li><br />
<li>case....</li><br />
<li>ask........</li><br />
</ul><!--content-->you have<br />
<ul> <br />
<li>tips.....</li> <br />
<li>case....</li> <br />
<ask.........</li> <br />
</ul><br />
<br />
but i assume thats a typo and it should be<br />
<ul> <br />
<li>tips.....</li> <br />
<li>case....</li> <br />
<li>ask.........</li> <br />
</ul><br />
like spufi says, which validates for me, its xhtml1.1 compliant even. at any rate i usually see that kind of error when i have to wrap something in a div, try putting the whole page in a div<br />
<body><br />
<div><br />
everything<br />
</div><br />
</body><br />
</html><br />
i dont think the problem is the list itself but something its a child of<!--content-->hey Spufi,<br />
sorry, I missed the correct opening tag in the post. I DID actually use the exact code you posted and got the error.<br />
it seems odd that a basic <ul> would not be supported by this DTD so im assuming it has to do with where its placed in the code?<br />
<br />
Thanks!<br />
Mike<!--content-->Hey guys and Gals!<br />
<br />
Sorry to take up your time! I got it figured out!<br />
Thank you all for the help!!<br />
<br />
Mike<!--content-->I actually thought it was going to be an error that was elsewhere in your code, and not in what you posted because stuff like that happens to me quite a bit, but when I saw the incorrect opening tag, well, I went that direction. It seemed a little too obvious though. :)<!--content-->

Back