Using DIV (???)

liunx

I'm not too sure about using DIV. I've heard that DIV can replace the TABLE tag and free up space. But then I heard that DIV has been deprecated.. Does this mean it's not in use? I'm trying to use DIV but I haven't found any tutorials that explained it clearly. Am I looking in the wrong places? Please help.<!--content-->I've not heard anywhere that div has been depreciated, I hope it hasn't because it comes in quite useful.<br />
<br />
The good thing about a div tag is that it does absolutely nothing, unless you make it do something. div's can pretty much replace tables when they are combined with CSS.<br />
<br />
You can format text anyway you want with it and position it absolutely on a page so that it will look the same in all browsers. They can be lined up next to each other (like td's) and be given a border.<br />
<br />
They are very useful because they can lump together big or small chunks of content thereby making it easier to update a website.<br />
<br />
You can do all of the above without worrying about how the div tag itself will affect your content, because like I said before, by itself it does absolutely nothing.<br />
<br />
However, you can only really get the maximum usage out of a div tag if you know some CSS.<!--content-->thanks.<!--content-->

Back