User Authentication

liunx

Hi all,

I'm sure this is a very simple question for most of you, but its been buggin me for a while now...

I am using Dreamweaver MX and MS Access to create a user registration and then a user log in system.

All is working correctly, however, when the user logs in and accesses the 'login successful page' I want to create a recordset to display various fields that are specific to that user. For example, I want the regular ' Welcome back "GARY" or the last time you logged in was "DDMMYYYY" etc etc.

How do I retain a record from the log in page to use it in the following page after they've successfully logged in? Obviously you can do this with the 'go to detail page' function, but this doesn't apply in this case.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially advice in Dreamweaver talk rather than code!!!

Thanks

GazUse a cookie and track it around the website. Use a cookie that identifies the record. Also do not use something like an integer as someone can spoof that and gain unneeded access to your site.afterburn,

Thanks for your reply.

I presume the cookie needs to be passed from the Log in page and then linked to a record in the database to be retrieved for use dynamically on the page?

Is it possible you could explain a little more about how to achieve this?

Any ideas how to achieve this in Dreamweaver?

Thanks again

GazHello,

I have managed to work it out.

Basically, Dreamweaver creates an automatic session variable called MM_Username. This is generated form the Log in User server behaviour.

Basically you just call in this session variable on the subsequent pages. You can also use it to filter a recordset to call in databse fields based on the current user record.

Thanks all for you help anyway,

Regards

Gazsessions require a lot of memory. IIS hands the users browser a cookie that is temp. then maps the identifier to the actual memory. you can imagine alot of people will kill the webserver.

Back