URL question in regards to XHTML

liunx

hey everyone i was wondering if xhtml had to be specified in a URL for a website if it is alread specified in the DTD(Document Type Definition) or if .htm or .html would still work even though the language is XHTML does the browser only go by the info in the DTD?<!--content-->your page itself may have whatever extension it requires. for xhtml, that part goes by the dtd.<!--content-->so to put .htm or .html would have no effect on anything at all then as long as the XHTML is specified in the DTD then right? thats what i was thinking at least.<br />
<br />
is this correct?<!--content-->The extension is not important for XHTML.<br />
<br />
In HTML the extension is often .html or .htm, but you can also use .cgi, .php, .asp, .cfm, and many others.<br />
<br />
What is important is the MIME type the file is served with. There are several choices. The one that is supposed to be used makes all versions of the Infernal Exploiter choke, so people have to kludge it by using another, less optimum, MIME type instead.<br />
<br />
That is one of the reasons that I'm avoiding XHTML until version 2, until browsers actually properly support it. The other is the fact that XHTML 2 is not backwards compatible with XHTML 1.<!--content-->is XHTML 2.0 already developed? or just in the stages of being developed? what exactly is the function of the MIME?<!--content-->

Back