upper/lowercase file name problems

liunx

I'm having this problem with upper and lower case letters in my file names and file folder names. <br />
<br />
I didn't understand that this would cause problems when I was building this site on my computer because everything ran fine off my hard drive. Then I posted my site to the hosting server and all sorts of things didn't work. Well I now know this is because of the upper and lower case thing.<br />
<br />
So, I go back and change all the files and file folders to lower case. However, the problem is this, the renamed folders will not stay renamed they keep reverting back to the original upper and lower cases. Has anyone else ever delt with this? Does anybody have an idea as to what may be going on here.<br />
<br />
Thanks,<!--content-->What is the editor you are using?<br />
How are the preferences?<!--content-->I'm just using the Windows98 "my computer" file program to rename the files and folders.<!--content-->I think you have to do it with the editor.<br />
Save as lowercasename.htm<br />
And save in a new directory........<br />
And rename all the links to the lowercase files.....<br />
:rocker:<!--content-->Ummm, you don't have to use an editor of any kind to rename files. <br />
<br />
However, I'm not sure how you would rename them using "My Computer". Nonetheless, I'd suggest using Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer - they should never have been named so similarily) or My Documents to rename your files. Simply right-click on the file name...change the name as you wish... and then click on another file or elsewhere on the screen to ensure the change "takes".<br />
<br />
Neil<!--content-->Once you upload the files to your website, you can rename them on the website if you are using an FTP program to upload them. That is, if the file arrives on your webspace as INDEX.HTM you can use the FTP program to rename it to index.html or whatever you want.<br />
<br />
There is a setting in Windows to allow you to have filenames named on your computer just how you want them. This is the "Adjust Case of Filenames [Yes/No]" setting to be found in the TweakUI PowerToys utility from M$.<!--content-->

Back