UL problem

windows

I haven’t uploaded my site yet (it’s anyway not finished) but I’m trying to get it validated. I’m only getting one error:<br />
<br />
"Line 42, column 3: document type does not allow element "UL" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON" start-tag<br />
<UL>"<br />
<br />
The UL is:<br />
"<UL><br />
<LI>A unique entry number.<br />
<LI>The date it was added to the errata page.<br />
<LI>Whether the entry is considered an important<br />
error, a minor typographical error, a clarification,<br />
or a known problem with the document itself.<br />
<LI>The document version and section referred to.<br />
<LI>A description of the problem and correction<br />
if applicable.<br />
</UL>"<br />
<br />
and within the head, just over the body I’ve included this part:<br />
<br />
<style type="text/css"> <!-- UL { list-style-image: url(images/bullet.gif);font-size:90%;font-family:verdana, sans-serif } P.head{font-size:110%;font-family:verdana, sans-serif;} SPAN{text-align:center} --><br />
</style> <br />
<br />
<style type="text/css"><br />
body {margin:0px;}<br />
</style><br />
</head><br />
<br />
the rest being just the meta tags.<br />
<br />
Why isn’t the page validated, please?<br />
Maria<!--content-->What DOCTYPE are you trying to validate as?<br />
It may be relevant to your problem.<!--content-->Well maybe the error is what the error message really said, maybe there's an unclosed tag (missing </tag>) before the <UL>?<!--content-->We need to see the code for the whole page to figure out what the problem is.<br />
<br />
Why do you have two different "style" sections? You can combine them.<br />
<br />
<style type="text/css"><br />
<!--<br />
body { margin:0px; }<br />
UL { list-style-image: url("images/bullet.gif");<br />
font-size:90%;<br />
font-family:Verdana, sans-serif; }<br />
P.head { font-size:110%;<br />
font-family:Verdana, sans-serif; }<br />
SPAN { text-align:center }<br />
<br />
--><br />
</style><br />
If memory serves, you need to capitalize the font names, but not the font families. So specific fonts, like Verdana, are capitalized but generic font types, like sans-serif, are not.<br />
<br />
You need to quote the url contents, like I've done above.<!--content-->DOOGXELA you are so right in wanting to combine the two style sections into one! But I tried your combined style and it doesn’t show my bullets, whether in quotes or not, while when it’s in two separate parts my bullets do show! Weird, huh?? <br />
<br />
Do you know a code where I could use a second bullet style for a second unordered list on the same page? Not that this is absolutely necessary but I would like to have an “advantages” list with one type of bullet (say bullet1.gif) and the “disadvantages” list with another (bullet2.gif). I didn’t show the code for the whole page because it was too long but I would do that if needed. <br />
<br />
AGENT002 I thought I should be looking for an applet, object, map, frame or button tag. I followed your advice (to just look for any unclosed tag) and found a missing font one. Weird again, usually the W3C validation tool advises me that a font tag is specifically missing. And great, my page is validated!<br />
<br />
ANDROID, I’m a beginner and don’t know anything more than working with the HTML 4.01 Transitional, although I guess there is a tool that converts pages to Xtml – I’m not sure, what do the search engines prefer nowadays?<br />
<br />
Guys you are all fantastic, I’m looking for the time when I will also be able to contrbute but that will still take loads of time!<br />
<br />
Maria<!--content-->I tried your combined style and it doesn鎶

Back