Trouble Using XMLHttpRequest with XHTML in IE

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

I am trying to implement what I guess would be considered an HTML templating type of design using XHTML and Javascript. Basically, I would like there to be a flat-file XHTML document which contains all of the HTML needed for the elements in a page. Then, I would like to use the XMLHttpRequest object to retrieve the responseXML of this document, which I can then use to parse out specific elements, manipulate them, and then insert them into the DOM.

However, I am running into a pretty big problem just trying to get IE to recognize the XHTML file and provide the responseXML. I am using the following XHTML DTD in my XHTML file which is named html_template.xml:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

The responseXML seems to be returned fine in Mozilla and I can view the XML DOM tree in the browser. But when I try to view the XHTML template in IE, I receive the following error message:

Use of default namespace declaration attribute in DTD not supported

After looking into this a little further, it seems like IE does not like the seeing the DOCTYPE in the XML source. But if I remove it, the page starts complaining about undefined elements that were previously defined in the DTD.

Does anyone know of a way to formulate XHTML in a way that will make it possible for me to read the responseXML of the page through the XMLHttpRequest object in Javascript? Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Back