Totally failed in OOP/MVC

kevinj1234

Ok, it's my fault. I've never ever learned programming at a school and that's why i'm always ending up in a spaghetti code. I've always curious about different patterns and tried to understand them at least in a basic level.MVC is my worst fear and i think i'll be never able to use it's advantages because of i don't understand it's fundamentals.My actual question/problem looks like:The front controller calls a 'Core' class which is doing some initialization then it calls the actual controller with the correct action/parameters. The controllers always extending the 'Core' class so i can acces it's variables, etc. They're working nicely together but here comes my real problem.Some kind of methods (getting a database entry in most of the cases) are required in different cases. (e.g. a product needs it's manufacturer)In this scenario i have two (bad) choices:
  • Inject the required method into the 'Core' class so it's getting bloated over time
  • Inject the required method into the actually called controller so i will end up a redundant codebase
I see a lot of possible problems in my approach:
  • Controllers are always extending 'Core' class
  • 'Core' controller holds the database object so without it i cannot access my Db
  • Database functions (e.g. getting a product) are in the controllers but i cannot access them because they're always calling 'Core' first (extending problem again)
Please tell me:Where is the biggest problem in my approach and where can i correct it?Note:Please don't treat this as a general question, i think this is an answerable thing. If you need some clarification, please ask for it and i'll try to lighten up things.Thanks for your precious time, fabrik

Back