This Forum's source

I just installed Netscape7.2 And the text area of the form where you post a message is narrower in width than NS4.7 that I was using.<br />
Here is the source of that form:<br />
<br />
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"><br />
<tr valign="top"><br />
<td><textarea name="message" rows="20" cols="40" wrap="virtual" tabindex="2"></textarea><br><br />
<font face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" ><a href=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"javascript:checklength(document.vbform);">[check message length]</a></font></td><br />
</tr><br />
</table><br />
<br />
In NS4.7 it reads<br />
name="message" rows="20" cols="50" wrap="virtual"<br />
<br />
What is the reason for this, or are they comparing Browsers?<br />
<br />
I guess I might have to stick with my old browser for posting.<!--content-->I've found that this forum is strange for resizing as well. Some threads have a far larger column width than others so you have to scroll right to read all the text. I'm using IE 6 and so it should stay constant. Is it to do with me or is it to do with the person who started the thread?<br />
<br />
IxxI<!--content-->I checked the source again. This time in IE5 . First with a quote in it and then an empty box. In both, the width was 70 px. Remember NS7.2 was 40, and NS4.7 was 50. ...?????<!--content-->By changing "Indentify as IE 6" to "Identify as Mozilla 5" in my Opera preferences, I see a similar thing happening. Its probably done because NS4.x typically has wider text boxes for same # of cols. Beats me why they should have smaller # of cols for later versions of NS/Mozilla.<!--content-->Originally posted by nkaisare <br />
By changing "Indentify as IE 6" to "Identify as Mozilla 5" in my Opera preferences, I see a similar thing happening. Its probably done because NS4.x typically has wider text boxes for same # of cols. Beats me why they should have smaller # of cols for later versions of NS/Mozilla. <br />
I'd say that it will be a long time before Browsers will be 100% compatible, no matter what standards are set for CSS. So I guess I still need to use this image in the attachment<!--content-->

Back