The way PDO parametrized query works

Dulce

PLEASE READ THE QUESTION CAREFULLY. It is not usual silly "my code doesn't work!!!" question.When I run this code with intended error \[code\]try { $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT id FROM users WHERE name INN(?,?) "); $sth->execute(array("I'm","d'Artagnan"));} catch (PDOException $e) { echo $e->getMessage();}\[/code\]I get this error message\[quote\] You have an error in your SQL syntax ... near 'INN('I\'m','d\'Artagnan')' at line 1\[/quote\]But I thought for years that query and data being sent to the server separately and never interfere. Thus I have some questions (though I doubt anyone got an answer...)[*]Where does it get such a familiar string representation - quoted and escaped? Is it being made especially to report an error or is it a part of actual query?[*]How does it work in real? Does it substitute a placeholder with data or not? [*]Is there a way to get whole query, not only little bit of it, for debugging purposes?Update \[code\]mysqli\[/code\] does it as expected: it throws an error says \[code\]near 'INN(?,?)'\[/code\]

Back