The view difference in monitor sizes

liunx

I was in the process of making up a web page on my old computer which had a 15 inch screen and everything was looking okay. Then I went and got a 17 inch screen and now it all seems so small, it looks like there is hardly anything there! Is there a piece of code for repreportioning images and text to fit on different sized monitors? Any help would be greatly appreciated. For any of you with 17 inch screens you can see what I'm talking about here:<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/desiredflesh/ljoel">http://www.geocities.com/desiredflesh/ljoel</a><!-- m --><!--content-->well for one I have a 15 inch monitor and the text and menus are really huge. run your resolution at 800x640 and you should do fine.<br />
<br />
also whatever you size a table use %'s<br />
<br />
<td width="775" height="85" valign="top"><br />
<br />
that should be a <br />
<br />
<td width="100%" height="30%" valign="top"><br />
<br />
maybe the 30 is a little small but you should get the point.<br />
<br />
% tells the browser to resize according to the users resolution.<!--content-->Thank you for your help. That seems to work well with spreading everything out properly. Is there also a way of resizing the images accordingly, or is that up to the resolution setting I have on my monitor?<!--content-->image you need teh specific value of the img. width=300 height=100 or what ever. don't use % in images. you have to make them the size you want. just set your resolution to 800x640 and make your images and everything should be find. most users have this resolution size so you should to.<!--content-->I think the precision you desire is beyond the scope of webpages. Let me make it more obvious.<br />
What's the difference between a 15" monitor at 800x600 (call this 1st) pixels compared to a 21" monitor at 800x600 (call this 2nd)?<br />
<br />
Well, let's take a 800x600 picture. On the first computer it will fill up the screen to the edges. On the second computer it, too, will fill up the screen.<br />
Now take a ruler, press it against that screen. The physical proportions we see are different. The 2nd is bigger. <br />
<br />
Either way this picture will be the same "size" inside the computer.. But we interpret these differences.<br />
<br />
Different sized monitors - think of them as magnifying glasses. What you want to do is control the final size - that is, what we see - across various magnifying glasses. The end result is you can't.<br />
If it can be done, it is some kind of magical code that eludes me, mixed in with the theory of what exactly is a DPI (Dots Per Inch) at The Original Resolution 640x480. <br />
<br />
Like, what does 72 DPI mean when you switch resolutions? :confused: But I digress.<br />
I can turn this into a printing question, but I don't know the answer, so I won't.<br />
<br />
Suffice it to say if you choose fonts that are the default size, like you didn't make 'em bigger or smaller with a <font size=#> tag, then all users will be able to read those words. They will have they're default set to what is legible to them; it doesn't matter what the actual size is the real world. But when you tweak the size, especially down, then some people may get stuck with ultra-small fonts, at least to them ...<br />
<br />
On all my tests in Netscape and IE, on Windows9x, I say going 1 level down is legible, more is pushing it.<br />
<br />
What I fret about is pictures... If the user has so high a resolution, can he see the details in my pictures? Well, if they're so silly as to set the resolution ridiculously high as 2048 by 1536, then they desserve to suffer. Now see, this discussion is turning into a resoultion discussion, no longer a how-big-is-your-monitor. We can control resolutions; the common sizes today 800 by 600, and 1024 by 768 >> According to a poll in HTMLforums recently. There is JavaScript out there that can detect which resolution they are using. Even if it will be magnified in the end.<!--content-->The short answer is that a 15 inch or a 17 or a 21 monitor should all display webpages the same at the same resolution setting. You might be confusing the screen size (15, 17, 21) with resolution setting (800x600, 1024x768, etc). Monitors can also be adjusted to display a smaller viewing area or larger viewing area by using whatever controls are built into the monitor. <br />
<br />
Now the physical image will be different between a 15 and 17 inch monitor, just like seeing images on a giant screen TV will look bigger than images on a standard 27 inch TV screen but they still show the image at the same reslolution. <br />
<br />
Kevin<!--content-->Thanks a lot guys. That has cleared up the whole mess for me. Thanks again, you have all been VERY helpful and I am most grateful!<!--content-->

Back