The logo thingy next to the webaddress!

liunx

I have seen websites change the logo next to the address of the website in IE's address bar.<br />
<br />
I would also like to change the logo next to the words 'Internet Explorer' on the toolbar. How do I do this?<br />
<br />
Thanks in advance<!--content-->for the addres bar visit <br />
<br />
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.favicon.com">www.favicon.com</a><!-- w --><br />
<br />
for the icon in the very top left hand corner you can't<!--content-->also if you have irfanview (get it at Download <!--more-->.com), it'll allow you to save as an .ico file, though in my experience the colors get messed up.<br />
<br />
also, you could open the window with javascript and remove the toolbar and replace it with your own images, but that would be a pain in the ass and it wouldn't show up where the old toolbar was unless you removed everything else under it. totally not worth messing with.<!--content-->if you can set up a very simple graphic 16x16px and set up as a letter or shape. You can save it as a *.ico file.<br />
Looks like you can do it with 'infra view', i didn't know that, it's a good image tool.<br />
<br />
once you have it, save (upload) it in the root directory of your web site (with your *.htm/*.html files) and reference it with a tag similar to the one below, within the <head> tags.<br />
<br />
<link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href= <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.enigma-shopfitting.co.uk/e.ico">http://www.enigma-shopfitting.co.uk/e.ico</a><!-- m -->"><br />
<br />
When a visitor bookmarks that page through Internet Explorer they will have the *.ico file image in there favourite list, adjacent to the web site.<br />
<br />
You can do more advanced techniques with higher res graphics, also make them show in the address bar of browsers. Netscape does not support this feature as far as I know.<br />
<br />
If you look at Favicon.com or do searches you'll soon crack it<br />
<br />
If your going to do characters (letters) at 16x16px I've just seen a font named sydnie that's based on a simple resolution, may be useful!<!--content-->Originally posted by malecon <br />
You can do more advanced techniques with higher res graphics, also make them show in the address bar of browsers. Netscape does not support this feature as far as I know.oh yeah... Netscape, Mozilla, Opera... everyone on earth now has left MSIE behind in the dust.<!--content-->OK....<br />
<br />
As far as the original question was concerned:<br />
<br />
I misunderstood the Q last night; for what it's worth, I used icons on one project and learned this<br />
<br />
There's a simple technique for having a customised 16x16px icon show in the favorites list in MSIE. I ran through this in last msg. This does not work with Netscape, don't ask me why!<br />
<br />
There is another method for getting your icon in the address bar which I have not used. You can also use higher res graphics for address bar and favourites list, but again I haven't used this. Netscape & MSIE will show address bar icon.<br />
<br />
I agree that netscape and opera have implemented better technologies in there browsers than MSIE, in reply to last msg.<!--content-->TM :gunner: MSIE :P<!--content-->Originally posted by leoo24 <br />
TM :gunner: MSIE :P haha, yup :P<br />
<br />
oh, and what i meant was that Moz/NS/Op will display the icon in the address bar, not the favourites list, while IE SUPPOSEDLY displays them in the favorites (though i don't think it works for me for some reason).<!--content-->

Back