Textboxes, and emailing the data in them...

liunx

I am making a small account request page for my forums, just account name, and email, because i had to close down registration...<br />
<br />
I have no idea where to start, when it comes to text boxes in HTML I am a complete newb. I want it to email the data in the account textbox and email textbox to me. Can someone point me in the right direction? I just don't even know where to start with this..<!--content-->you need some serverside coding for that and your host has to support it. like cgi, php, asp. find the best one and go for it,. many tutorials on the web.<!--content-->Which part is it that would require PHP? The textbox part, or the emailing part? Or both? If its the emailing part, I don't neccesarily need that, I just need it someplace, like logged into a text file, or html file, anything...<!--content-->in order for the textbox text to get into the email you need serverside language. once they hit submit then php would grab that text and then stick it into the email.<!--content-->Alright, I see. So then my question would be...using HTML only, can I somehow put the text in the two textboxes into a textfile or HTML file on the server?<!--content-->I hardly understand your question, but the way you're explaining it, I THINK you can use forms. Modify the code below to suit your needs:<br />
<br />
<br />
<form name ="order" method = "post"<br />
action = "mailto:[email protected]?subject=subjecthere"<br />
enctype="text/plain"><br />
UserName:<input type="text" value="" size="#" name="username"><br><br />
email:<input type="text" value="" size="#" name="email"<br><br />
<input type="submit" value="Send" style="background-color:colour" onClick="checkEmail()" name="submit"><br />
</form><!--content-->Actually, thats exactly what I wanted, thanks alot. But, I see why PHP is really the way to go, since this opens your default email application and sends it via that...<br />
<br />
How about this, the same two text boxes, but it logs it into a txt file on the server that I have to set to write all, so permissions wont be a problem, how possible is this in HTML?<!--content-->I don't think it would be. HTML is not that powerful.<!--content-->you don't need to write a text file. php will grab the info when you hit submit.<br />
<br />
I already said this. html can't write to a file or send email like you want.<!--content-->Alright, just making sure I heard you right. Thanks for all of your help, guess I'll take this one over to the server side programming forum :)<!--content-->Hey XilverFaerie<br />
<br />
what is the PHP code for doing that?... (so it doesnt open outlook but just sends it form the browser)<br />
<br />
Mike<!--content-->

Back