text as an image..?

liunx

When I view my site on IE v5.0 and NS v.6.2, a piece of text set at a font size of 5 appears as I wish it to.<br />
<br />
When I view the document in NS v.4.7 or Opera 5 the text is too large and throws off my desired layout.<br />
<br />
Is inserting text as an image the only solution to such problems?<br />
<br />
Thanks for your thoughts!<!--content-->Use style......<br />
Put this style in the head:<br />
<br />
<STYLE TYPE="text/css"><!--<br />
.norm {<br />
FONT-SIZE: 12px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial}<br />
.par-gt {<br />
FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 18px; COLOR: #468146; FONT-FAMILY: Arial}<br />
.par-kl {<br />
FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 14px; COLOR: #468146; FONT-FAMILY: Arial}<br />
.par-wit {<br />
FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 14px; COLOR: white; FONT-FAMILY: Arial}<br />
.par-tomat {<br />
FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 14px; COLOR: #ff6347; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial}<br />
.kop {<br />
FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 24px; COLOR: #468146; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial}<br />
.kop-tomat {<br />
FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 24px; COLOR: #ff6347; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial}<br />
<br />
A:link { text-decoration: none; color: #000000 }<br />
A:visited { text-decoration: none; color: #990000 }<br />
A:active { text-decoration: none; color: #cc00FF }<br />
A:hover { text-decoration: underline; color: #800040 }<br />
<br />
BODY { scrollbar-3d-light-color:#FFFFFF;<br />
scrollbar-arrow-color:#ffffff;<br />
scrollbar-base-color:#e39be3;<br />
scrollbar-dark-shadow-color:#333333;<br />
scrollbar-face-color:#bcb079;<br />
scrollbar-highlight-color:#999999;<br />
scrollbar-shadow-color:#cec553}<br />
.menu{<br />
FONT-SIZE: 12px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial}<br />
<br />
--><br />
</STYLE><br />
<br />
In the body:<br />
<DIV CLASS="norm">Here your text:Backend sell affiliate products, JV products, or create an extended version of your product. As long as you have a good closing ratio<br />
for your backend products, than the advertisement for your initial<br />
product doesn't even have to make money, and you can still turn<br />
a profit on the backend sale.<br />
</DIV><br />
<br />
And a few words: use <span class="par-tomat"> the span tag </span> in a textline......<!--content-->I gave up on this a long time ago and started using JavaScript to import external style sheets, different ones for - at least two - browsers. Easy:<br />
<br />
1)Get your page looking presentable in IE. Use an external stylesheet (read in with the <link> tag in the head, href set to "default_style.css")<br />
2)When you're ready to go cross-browser, copy the original CSS file and name the copy "special_style.css". You can use any names, these are just suggestions.<br />
3)Stick this in the <head> of each HTML file, after any <META> tags:<br />
<br />
<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"><br />
<br />
var agt = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase(); <br />
var is_major = parseInt(navigator.appVersion); <br />
<br />
var ns = ((agt.indexOf('mozilla')!= -1) && (agt.indexOf('spoofer') == -1) <br />
&& (agt.indexOf('compatible') == -1) && (agt.indexOf('opera') == -1) <br />
&& (agt.indexOf('webtv') == -1) && (agt.indexOf('hotjava') == -1)); <br />
var ns4 = (ns && (is_major == 4)); <br />
var ns6 = (ns && (is_major >= 5)); <br />
<br />
var ie = ((agt.indexOf('msie') != -1) && (agt.indexOf('opera') == -1)); <br />
var ie4 = (ie && (is_major == 4) && (agt.indexOf('msie 4') != -1) ); <br />
var ie4up = (ie && (is_major >= 4)); <br />
<br />
document.write(<br />
'<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href=http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/"',<br />
((ie4up || ns6) ? 'default' : 'special'),<br />
'_style.css">');<br />
<br />
</script><br />
<br />
Then just alter the second file (special_style.css) till it looks the way you'd like in those 'other' browsers.<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.abiglime.com/webmaster/articles/jscript/012899.htm">http://www.abiglime.com/webmaster/artic ... 012899.htm</a><!-- m --><!--content-->Hi _mrkite, great script.<!--content-->Can I butt in? I can, thanks! :)<br />
Just what is a style sheet anyway? I mean, can anyone tell me in plain English? I've tried reading about them and get a headache. I don't like headaches. }:-)<!--content-->I am just learning all this myself so don't bank on this response. :)<br />
What little bit that I understand about it, is that a style sheet is an html document that the style code is written in the < head > section and it will automatically create certain styles within the page to the value indicated by the code. <br />
This style covers the entire document and can be replicated to multiple pages as a kind of short cut so the code writer does not need to repeat tedious code for multiple documents as long as they are related to each other.<br />
An example would be if you wrote the code for purple text and a header code of < H1 >, every time the browser reads < H1 > it would display a header with purple text---I think :)<br />
<br />
Of course, I could be way off base here. :rolleyes: <br />
<br />
But I'm trying real hard. :rocker:<!--content-->Originally posted by KWJams <br />
I am just learning all this myself so don't bank on this response. :)<br />
What little bit that I understand about it, is that a style sheet is an html document that the style code is written in the < head > section and it will automatically create certain styles within the page to the value indicated by the code. <br />
This style covers the entire document and can be replicated to multiple pages as a kind of short cut so the code writer does not need to repeat tedious code for multiple documents as long as they are related to each other.<br />
An example would be if you wrote the code for purple text and a header code of < H1 >, every time the browser reads < H1 > it would display a header with purple text---I think :)<br />
<br />
Of course, I could be way off base here. :rolleyes: <br />
<br />
But I'm trying real hard. :rocker: <br />
<br />
Yes that is more or less correct. Only a style sheet is technically not an HTML document, it is only part of one, or is a separate file completely from the webpage and uses no HTML code at all (external style sheet) it only contains the CSS definitions. <br />
<br />
There are three levels of hierarchy, the closer the CSS is to the actual HTML the higher the priority it is given.<br />
<br />
You can link to an external style sheet in the head section of a webpage and use that style sheet for one or limitless numbers of webpages, lowest priority.<br />
<br />
You can put internal style sheets directly in the head section of a webpage, effects only that page, second highest priority.<br />
<br />
You can put inline style tags directly in the HTML code, effects only that block of code, highest priority.<br />
<br />
You can combine all three of them on one page.<br />
<br />
Kevin<!--content-->I am not sure what CSS is?<br />
<br />
<br />
it only contains the CSS definitions.<br />
<br />
Could you explain please?<!--content-->Just found this info Site:<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp">http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp</a><!-- m --><br />
With a lot of "How To"<!--content-->HI KWJams,<br />
<br />
go to the website petervazed linked to and scroll down to CSS introduction in the middle column. That explains it clearly.<br />
<br />
When I said CSS definitions, definitions is not the correct technical term, I just use that word to summarize with, "definitions" would be something like:<br />
<br />
h1{color: green; font-family: "sans serif"}<br />
h2{color: red; font-family: arial}<br />
<br />
Since CSS deals directly with HTML documents, it is fairly easy to pick up on. Most CSS syntax looks very similar to HTML code and includes HTML selectors, like h1, h2 etc etc etc. <br />
<br />
Kevin<!--content-->CSS= cascading Style Sheets <br />
<br />
That is a great site.<br />
<br />
Thanks<br />
:)<!--content-->CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) is a new development that is supported by most browsers version 4 and up. As with regular HTML coding, each browser has it's own rules as to how the final "look" or "support of it" will work.<br />
<br />
Think of it as an "add on" feature. They are used for formatting on a higher level. Like the <b> tag on steroids. It is for presentation and display.<br />
<br />
As HTML is moving forward, the use of CSS will be used more and more.<!--content-->

Back