target="blank" ... yes or no?

liunx

When reading a webpage, would you rather the links you click open in a new window or not?<!--content-->yes and no!<br />
<br />
its all about choice!<br />
<br />
sometimes I want to read something while checking a reference out - like HTML Forums defaults links in posts to open a new page - but other times, I just want to stay in one window because I am done with the last page.<br />
<br />
So I use right-click "open in new window" a lot.<br />
<br />
but then, sometimes I just left-click.<br />
<br />
<br />
like i said - freedom to choose.<!--content-->I'd say it's a judgement call. When I think someone is going to follow a link, and want to come right back to my page, I open in a new window. For example, on my family's personal home page, the page that is for my wife has a link to her baby registry for those that are coming to her baby shower. I made this open in a new window, since I assume that they just want to check out what she wants, and come back. I would NOT, however, ever use it for internal links.<br />
<br />
All in all, I just make a case by case decision.<!--content-->yup, all the above and in terms of keeping someone on your site you need to minimize any possibility of that person leaving your site, opening external links should alwasy be done in a new window, internal links generally should be opened in the same window. :D<!--content-->Originally posted by Horus_Kol <br />
So I use right-click "open in new window" a lot. <br />
<br />
oooo i do that to.<br />
<br />
like all the others have mentioned it depends on what information and what page would be opened. it IS annoying having loads of pages open at the same time, just bear that in mind when you do your site.<br />
<br />
Joe<!--content-->Using Mozilla I usually right click links and then Open in New Tab instead.<br />
<br />
There is no way to force a new tab from the on-page coding, so I just right click on those that I do want to open in a new tab.<br />
<br />
I have begun to find that sites that automatically open links in a new window are now a bit annoying.<!--content-->

Back