Table Troubles TOO

liunx

I use MS Front Page for my building...<br />
<br />
On my web page I noticed that some of the table cells react differently when I change the text/font size for the whole page. Some of the cells "grow" these huge "spaces" above the text, while some of the cells remain proprtional to their changing text size. <br />
<br />
I thought changing the table/cell setting NOT to specify the height of the table/cell would resolve this. I also tried deleting/backspacing from the beginning of the text to close the gap, double clicking the bottom part of each cell, which sometimes "auto adjusts" the size to tighten it up, and in an extreme test of control i figured out how set the font so that other users viewing the page cannot change the size of there text. But that would be a huge pain to change on the whole page so I opted to try to figure out the actual problem as opposed to "quick fixes".<br />
<br />
Does this make any sense?<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/satyr_child/">http://www.geocities.com/satyr_child/</a><!-- m --><br />
<br />
The best way to see the changes is to hld CTRL while rolling your mouse scroll wheel (if you have one).<br />
<br />
HELLLLLLLLLLP MEEEEEEEE!<!--content-->If you were my client, and you gave me your site and said, "fix it," I would set your site aside and redesign a new one from scratch. It would save me a lot of time and headache doing so.<br />
<br />
Here's a indirect way of saving a lot of trouble in the future. One, learn CSS. Once you do, you won't believe how much your code gets trimmed down. This will also cut done on your own headaches.<br />
<br />
Two, think about cutting down on having so much stuff, gifs, animated gifs, and applets, on a page. Your page tends to load slowly on a 56K modem.<br />
<br />
I did copy your code and if given time, I'll weed through it to see if I can give you a lot leaner/meaner version of your site and try to cure your font problem along the way. If anybody else wants to solve his problem, then go for it because I don't think I'll have much time this weekend to work on it anyway.<!--content-->i'm on broadband...<br />
using Netscape...<br />
and you crashed me!!!<br />
<br />
grrrrrr....<br />
:( k<!--content-->And I just wanted to say that after I posted, the beginning of my reply might have seemed a little harsh. I by no means meant it to be. You used Front Page to create your web site and it has been known to create code overkill and that's exactly what you had happen. Looks like I might have slightly more time this weekend then what I had planned so maybe I'll get to some of the code.<!--content-->Originally posted by khaki <br />
i'm on broadband...<br />
using Netscape...<br />
and you crashed me!!!<br />
<br />
grrrrrr....<br />
:( k <br />
<br />
I'm on broadband...<br />
Using IE6...<br />
and you crashed me too!!<br />
<br />
Iexplore has caused an error in IEXPLORE.EXE<br />
<br />
Correction. YOU have caused an error...<!--content-->Originally posted by Maximus Prime <br />
I use MS Front Page for my building...<br />
<br />
On my web page I noticed that some of the table cells react differently when I change the text/font size for the whole page. Some of the cells "grow" these huge "spaces" above the text, while some of the cells remain proprtional to their changing text size. <br />
<br />
Please take note!<br />
This is my honest and straight forward opinion. Don't take it to heart, just think about it.<br />
<br />
The one problem is that you try to cram too much information in a table cell, than you would in a page. It makes the page too long, so you make smaller text to compensate, but it is harder to read. You also try to show more by loading two frames crammed with information.<br />
Stick to near one topic on a page and lose some of the fancy stuff, and frames. Your main reason for the pages are to present your information to the viewer. The frills have no value, it only thrills you as the webmaster. Think more in terms of pleasing the viewers so they come back.<br />
You as the webmaster have to learn how design your page and balance your data to elimanate spaces. <br />
<br />
First think of how you want to design the page as to how it will look. <br />
Then plan the layout to match your design. <br />
Now that you have the base, you can fill in the data.<!--content-->Originally posted by spufi <br />
And I just wanted to say that after I posted, the beginning of my reply might have seemed a little harsh. I by no means meant it to be. You used Front Page to create your web site and it has been known to create code overkill and that's exactly what you had happen. Looks like I might have slightly more time this weekend then what I had planned so maybe I'll get to some of the code. <br />
<br />
Please don't trouble yourself. You won't be doing me any good by fixing my mistakes. That page is more or less my canvas for learning. Now that I know there is a problem I can adjust fire and get back on target.<br />
<br />
I appreciate the feedback. Tell me what is actually the problem as opposed to simply pointing out that I am not a "hard coder" and that a WYSISYG user can't do what a guru hard coder can. It's much more helpful to here constructive criticism than JUST criticism....<br />
<br />
Thanks<!--content-->Originally posted by Maximus Prime <br />
[B<br />
Tell me what is actually the problem as opposed to simply pointing out that I am not a "hard coder" and that a WYSISYG user can't do what a guru hard coder can. It's much more helpful to here constructive criticism than JUST criticism....<br />
Thanks [/B] <br />
In my book any criticism is constructive, as long as it is meant to help, but sometimes it is not received very well.<br />
<br />
Here is the problem.<br />
Many webmasters use WYSIWYG editors. Front Page is not Preferred to some others. You should learn how to hard code too so you will be able read and edit not only your code but edit anyone's code. The problem with the type of editor in mind is that it generates more code than is necessary to do a page. <br />
It also is harder to read because it deciphers code from a word processor not a html editor. <br />
It forms the layout first then places the data and other code information in such a way that you may find data that was at the top of the view page at the bottom in the code source. <br />
Please don't trouble yourself. You won't be doing me any good by fixing my mistakes. You asked for help right here.<br />
HELLLLLLLLLLP MEEEEEEEE!<br />
I can assure you that if it were any trouble, you would have not received an answer. Be appreciative.<br />
:cool:<!--content-->I am very appreciative. In fact all this talk is prompting me to tr doing all of this on my own. The request for help was with the tables issue. But now that I am starting to realize it is not just the tables but my whole site it's time I start learning the right way... and toning it up so it works better. It would be a waste for you because in the long run the whole thing is going to change anyway. But I totally appreciate your offer and when I get things running more efficiently perhaps I'll call on you to check it out again and critique it<br />
<br />
Thanks <br />
<br />
MP<br />
<br />
Originally posted by jdavia <br />
In my book any criticism is constructive, as long as it is meant to help, but sometimes it is not received very well.<br />
<br />
Here is the problem.<br />
Many webmasters use WYSIWYG editors. Front Page is not Preferred to some others. You should learn how to hard code too so you will be able read and edit not only your code but edit anyone's code. The problem with the type of editor in mind is that it generates more code than is necessary to do a page. <br />
It also is harder to read because it deciphers code from a word processor not a html editor. <br />
It forms the layout first then places the data and other code information in such a way that you may find data that was at the top of the view page at the bottom in the code source. <br />
You asked for help right here.<br />
<br />
I can assure you that if it were any trouble, you would have not received an answer. Be appreciative.<br />
:cool:<!--content-->

Back