Table problems

ok I need a new pair of eyes to see my problem. this maybe easy but for the life of me can't figure it out. the page below is just a page full of tables. I can't seem to get my navigation to line up in the top most of their cell. I know the textarea's are the problem but can't seem to fix it. They are making the navigation links go down. I have tried rowspan and anything else I could think of, but no luck. now I know that someone here can se it.<br />
<br />
I my eyes are so buggy from looking at it for the last couple of days. :)<br />
<br />
TIA<!--content-->oops forgot the link, he he :D<!--content-->Hi Scoutt,<br />
<br />
I didn't check but I looked and it looks like you need to change the center to top in the below code<br />
<br />
</script><table align="left" width="100" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" border="0"><br />
<tr><td class="topMenu" width="100" align="center"><br />
<br />
do you really need to make each link in its own table? Seems like too many embedded tables but whatever works :)<br />
<br />
Kevin<!--content-->the align isn't for up and down it is?<br />
<br />
I thought it was for horizontal? I know there is a lot of tables but my navagation menu is seperate php files and they make there own tables in the script.<br />
<br />
I have tried valign="top" and nothing. like I said that the menus work fine through out the site until it comes in contact with the textarea's.<!--content-->oops...thats what I get for checking code at three in the morning! LOL...<!--content-->3 in the morning?? just say "no" kevin :D:D<br />
<br />
Although I do understand about not thinking straight in the we hours in the morning.<!--content-->Your table code just looks to complicated for my taste but that is just a matter of personal opinion. Anyway.... I did this and the menu went up <br />
<br />
<!-- end of main section--><br />
<br />
</small><br />
<!--<tr><td>&nbsp;</td></tr>--><br />
<tr><td valign=top><br />
<script language="javascript"><!--content-->ok I see that it goes up, but the cell is too long. it doesn't end right at the bottom of the menu, it keeps going to the bottom of the textarea cell. I don't see why this is happening since the textarea is in a table by itslef.<!--content-->Is this what you wanted?<br />
Good Luck,<br />
Paul<!--content-->yeah that is closer, what did you change?<!--content-->You didn't have the valign tags in some of the cells. What exactly do you need, I can do it for you.<br />
Good Luck,<br />
Paul<!--content-->whatever you did it made the cells smaller. the menu is right where it suppose to be but the cell goes down to far. it is going by the height of the cells that contain the textarea.<br />
<br />
I thnk I know what is going on. the height if the table that contains the textarea's is making the navigation cells go bigger. I think I have to make them seperate tables so I can control them better. <br />
<br />
thanks you guys for the hints.<!--content-->Here is what I do in a situation like this. Assign each individual table its own border color so you can quickly distinguish one table from another. With so many embedded tables you are lost in the code. If need be assign bgcolors to some of the cells you suspect are invloved in the placement problem, this way you can fairly quickly narrow it down to which table or which cell needs to adjusted, be it valign or align or something else. <br />
<br />
Kevin<!--content-->hey that is a nifty trick there kevin, have to remember that one. Although i don't have that problem considering I am working with 3 scripts on the whole page I can tell what table is from what script.<!--content-->yea, when you are the author of the page its much easier. I can write a PERL script with maybe a thousand lines of code and jump around in it rapidly if I see a problem, but pity the person that tries to come in after the fact and needs to learn the logic behind the coding and what does what and how and blah blah blah....<br />
<br />
HTML code ain't that complicted but sometimes it is still confusing because like on your page the style of coding is very different than mine.<!--content-->Originally posted by kevin <br />
<br />
HTML code ain't that complicted but sometimes it is still confusing because like on your page the style of coding is very different than mine. <br />
<br />
Yeah, that's the problem with helping people out because everyone has their own style. Mine for instance is using tables like crazy, others like one table for the whole page. I cant design a page with little tables, I find that really hard. Anyway scoutt did you find the problem, I wasn't sure at what you meant by "height if the table that contains the textarea's is making the navigation cells go bigger".<br />
Good Luck,<br />
Paul<!--content-->yes I did guys. I come to the conclusion that the table that holds the textareas was pushing the main table down which in turn made the navigation tables grow longer or push the cells to go down following the tables.<br />
<br />
beleive me kevin the scripts don't look have as bad as that file I showed you. so I didn't have to worry about which table I was in. hehe glad I'm on this end instead of reading it from that end. :D<!--content-->

Back