table problem in netscape

liunx

I am using a table with many empty cells. Many of those empty cells have a white background color (the background color of the page is gray). However when I leave the table cell empty, Netscape doesn't show the background color of the cell(white), but instead shows the background of the page(gray). Some of the cells are very small (1x1 px) so I can't use a blank space(& n b s p ;) or a line <br />
break(< b r / >) since those push the cell bigger than I want it to be. <br />
<br />
So what I've done is create a 1x1 px transparent spacer gif to put in each empty table cell. however, now I'm loading this gif many, many times b/c there are many empty cells. <br />
<br />
Is there a better way to do this so that I don't have insert the image so many times(in so many td cells)?<!--content-->Nope, that's the way to do it.<br />
<br />
Don't worry about the number of times you use the image as it gets cached by the visitor's isp and browser anyway. Also, 1x1 pixel transparent gifs take no time to load.<br />
<br />
This is the standard, acceptable, method of achieving what you want.<!--content-->well you can make the page load in white as the background and if you have a background image it will just cover it up. the only version I know that has grey as it's default is Netscape 4.08, time to upgrade as 4.7x has white as it's default. but either <br> or & nbsp; or an img is all you get to use since Netscape has to have something in the cell for it to render the table cell. and like torent said, don't worry about the 1x1 clear image as ti will be cached. and .000005 seconds won't make a difference :P<!--content-->Id like to see that layout. Using MANY, MANY 1x1 tds seems excessive. Perhaps there is a better way to lay it out in general.<!--content-->

Back