Table cell height with form component help needed!

liunx

Hi Guys,<br />
<br />
I'm having a problem laying out a form in Dreamweaver - I want two text entry boxes next to one another, with a button alongside them. However Dreamweaver forces the table cell that the form is to have quite a big height. I can't drag the cell any smaller and when I try and lterthe size in code I get a 'cell height smaller than allowed minimum" or somesuch.<br />
<br />
Any ideas how to reduce the height of the form? I've seen plenty of sites with far smaller log-in boxes than mine, so it must be possible!<br />
<br />
Thanks.<!--content-->yeah - don't use dreamweaver :)<!--content-->Thanks for the help.<br />
<br />
Luckily I've found the answer on another forum.<!--content-->well for the benifit of everyone else this is what you should have used.<br />
<br />
<form style="display: inline"><!--content-->just move the from tags outside of the table cell. After the <tr> ofr instace<!--content-->no that will not cure the problem. it still has a border around the from tags. a form is a block level element so it has padding all around it. in order to get rid of those you have to use what I suggested in my last post.<!--content-->Sorry outside of the tr tag<br />
<br />
I wasnt suggesting that your solution wouldnt work. In fact its the best solution but if you move the form tags out of the <tr> there will not be any padding at all. This is the method that i have used for about 6 years. With this method i can exacty layout any amount of text boxes or areas.<br />
<br />
<table width="48%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><br />
<form action="blah.asp" method=post><br />
<tr><br />
<br />
<td width="18%"><input type="text" name="textfield"></td><br />
<td width="16%"><input type="text" name="textfield2"></td><br />
<td width="66%"><input type="text" name="textfield3"></td><br />
</tr><br />
<tr><br />
<td><input type="text" name="textfield4"></td><br />
<td><input type="text" name="textfield5"></td><br />
<td><input type="text" name="textfield6"></td><br />
</tr><br />
<tr><br />
<td><input type="text" name="textfield7"></td><br />
<td><input type="text" name="textfield8"></td><br />
<td><input type="text" name="textfield9"></td><br />
<br />
</tr><br />
</form><br />
</table><!--content-->your way is improper tag nesting as the form or any tag can't go between the table and row tags.<br />
<br />
do this. make a page with 3 different tables. all 100% width and borders on all of them. 1 after the other<br />
<br />
stick a form around the middle table and you will see how far off it pushes the others.<!--content-->

Back