Standards = Dirty Word?

windows

I have done my best to maintain the HTML 4.01 Transitional standard.<br />
<br />
However, I hit a problem when trying to include an <iframe> - it wouldn't render in IE6 (it was fine in IE5.5). I know that <iframe> is not part of the strict standard, but i thought it was part of the transitional.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
I have come up to another problem.<br />
<br />
I want to draw graphs. The best solution I have found is VML - Vector Markup Language.<br />
<br />
I showed a bit of code to someone recently when I was having a problem (I fixed the problem - wasn't the VML). He said that I couldn't use XML (VML is an extension of this) in a HTML 4.01 standard document.<br />
<br />
<br />
Does anybody have any idea on where the standards are, and how the interact, and how they don't?<br />
<br />
Could you post an url for the place that controls these standards?<br />
<br />
How many people try and follow a standard?<!--content-->iframes, if memory serves, is part of the "frameset" DOM.<br />
<br />
Now, to use XML stuff, you need to specify the XHTML doctype.<br />
<br />
<?xml version="1.0" ?><br />
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"<br />
"XHTML1-f.dtd" /><br />
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html-in-xml"<br />
xml:lang="en" lang="en"><br />
<br />
As for myself, I try to follow the standards as much as possible. I realize that it isn't always possible in all applications, but the closer you can come, the better.<br />
<br />
Doog Xela<!--content-->www.w3c.org is the place that lists all the standards.<br />
<br />
have a sift through that, it may take a few becasue that site is as organized as M$. :)<!--content-->thanx scoutt<!--content-->It's actually w3.org, but w3c.org will redirect you there. It seems to take forever for me to do the redirect, though.<br />
<br />
I love that they have all of the information at that website. They have everything you need. In fact, I hardly use anything else. The problem is, like scoutt said, it is very poorly organized. Finding exactly what you want is darn near impossible without spending way too much time sifting through information that you don't need. If it weren't for Google's ability to search an individual site, I would have given up long ago.<br />
<br />
Doog Xela<!--content-->thanks Doog, when did they change that? I never even noticed. :)<!--content-->I don't know. It's been w3.org as long as I've been going there. I don't know why they would have switched. w3c.org makes more sense, since it is the World Wide Web Consortium and not just the World Wide Web. Weird.<br />
<br />
Doog Xela<!--content-->

Back