SSI problem!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I use Dreamweaver for a simple site.<br />
<br />
I have decided to use a SSI to include the navigation bar for the site template, this is mainly because it contains a weekly poll.<br />
<br />
I would prefer to just update and upload one file each week than having to upload all the files that use the template.<br />
<br />
So SSI seemed the way to go. It is fairly easy to setup through dreamweaver, but I was also familiar with the code anyway. I have set it up and in DW it looks fine.<br />
<br />
However, once uploaded to the webspace it doen't show. No error message - just nothing where it should be. I have looked at the source code and the path to the include file is correct, and when I browse directly to the include file it is there and working.<br />
<br />
I have tried using a file SSI and a virtual SSI, aswell as changing the extension of the include file from .htm to .inc, but it just doesn't work.<br />
<br />
I am hoping it isn't a setting on the server that is the problem, because I don't have access to it.<br />
<br />
Any ideas?<br />
<br />
Thanks<br />
<br />
Scott<!--content-->Serves me right for jumping the gun - just read through the archives of his forum and found out that SSI only works with asp or shtml extensions.<br />
<br />
Just means I'll have to go through and change them all. :(<!--content-->hehe, well at least you've learned to have a little look around first, but also how to solve your own problem :)<br />
<br />
i would use .shtml if you aren't actually using any asp code<!--content-->One thing I would be interested to know is what the difference is between html and shtml?<!--content-->not exactly sure what the 's' stands for but they are both the same except that with shtml the server reads the files first and then follows any instructions on including files from other places and then sends the finished product to the viewers browser.<br />
<br />
serverhtml?<!--content-->the server is setup to parse shtml files as serverside includes. if it doesn't have a "s" in front of it it will not be parsed as such. so it does make a difference.<br />
<br />
I believe it is serverhtml as I have never heard what i t stands for either.<!--content-->If you can set up a server 301 redirect from the old pages to the new ones, you should be able to retain most of your SE traffic; otherwise all visitors arriving at sub-pages on your site, using links followed from other sites, or from SE lisings, will get a 404 error.<!--content-->Originally posted by scoutt <br />
the server is setup to parse shtml files as serverside includes. if it doesn't have a "s" in front of it it will not be parsed as such. so it does make a difference.<br />
<br />
I believe it is serverhtml as I have never heard what i t stands for either. <br />
<br />
I believe Scoutt is correct. There is no differance other than SHTML is dealt with by the server before it is sent to the punter. As for the initial 's', server sounds logical.<br />
<br />
Incidently, *.ssi is the same as *.shtml for systems that allow only 3 letters to an extension. Maybe an archaic fact I dont know.<!--content-->

Back