SSI for a template?

liunx

I am redesigning a site. They want me to use frontpage because they will take over maintance at some point and that is what they'll want to use. I am used to using a program that allows me to have templates. When I update the templates then the pages are automatically updated. FP does not offer that. The closest the have is a "Shared Borders." this will not work, because I need several diffrent templates, not just one.<br />
<br />
So anywho, I was thinking a server side include would work. I set up my templates, and I have the server plop them in. I don't have any expereince with server side includes, so I ask you if this will work?<br />
<br />
Thanks.<!--content-->well let me help you out here a server side cannot update an html file (well why would you want to) You can have it update a data base then you can create pages that are populated by data from the data base then have the server side update the data base and all of the pages will update too put you will be updating several tables / feilds in this data base because you are not going to store all of the page data together. But It would definatly update your pages. You need to pick a server side though. You can use php cgi asp asp.net jsp shtml etc etc, you need to figure out which your host is going to support first of all.<!--content-->Maybe i'm just making stuff up, but this is what I was thinking.<br />
<br />
My pages will be .shtml<br />
<br />
The server reads the document and parses it for directives.<br />
<br />
I'm not sure about the syntax, but when it gets to something like <!--include file="template.html"--> then it inserts template.html into the page and sends it to the client.<br />
<br />
I could have several diffrent templates and choose which one it merges in. Will this work?<br />
<br />
My server allows asp but i'm kinda lost there.<!--content-->I dont know much about shtml to tell you the truth but asp would be updating a data base correct. Then a page (one of your page temps) would have script that display data base data so therefore when you update the data base you update your page and this can be a quick method to update all of your pages.<!--content-->

Back