SPAMMER Target is vBulletin Copyright/Powered by

If you get a lot of spam are you running with "Powered by vBulletin"

• Yes, I am running with "Powered by vBulletin"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I an not running with "Powered by vBulletin"

• I removed the "Powered by vBulletin" and the spam stopped

• I removed the "Powered by vBulletin" and made no difference.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bluescorpion

I read that the reason that scumbag spammers are so successful is that they target the vBulletin Copyright statement and/or the Powered by vBulletin statement in the browser title. This poll is to try to find out is this is true or not. Some of the posts on vBulletin claim 100% reduction. If that is true, the whole story of spamming could change with vBulletin.

chrismaher2007

i was thinking that myself.

i updated the forum which put the copyright back in.

then i got hit with 100s of spam bots

never had a problem before that

bluescorpion

I changed one of mine that has been getting pounded today, the junk just stopped, COLD! So I am thinking it might have some validity.

cereal_killer

Before I went to 3.8.1 I was on 3.6.8. I was getting HAMMERED by spam bots. At that point I had the copyright still there. When I upgraded to 3.8.1 it was removed and I havn't had a problem.

If you're on 3.6.8 like I was I highly reccomend this - reCAPTCHA: Stop Spam, Read Books

as TheProphet stated above.

h@ck3r

TBH, I get spammers registering at my site, but they are unable to post because they can't validate their email address.

Yes it's annoying me having to keep deleting their accounts, but at least they are not spamming my forums with nuisance posts. :)

h@ck3r

And I can't vote here; because I have removed the 'Powered by VBulletin' from my forum homepage, but on some other pages (Login form etc), it still appears.

chrismaher2007

another point to note

i installed the "redirect banned members to url" mod.

i pointed them to a certain wordpress blog.

the day after i redirected that wordpress blog was hammered with spam.

what would happen if you repleced the copyright phrase on vbulletin with the copyright phrase for phpbb or invision?? maybe it would fool the bots :)

bluescorpion

h@ck3r said:
And I can't vote here; because I have removed the 'Powered by VBulletin' from my forum homepage, but on some other pages (Login form etc), it still appears.

Did you change the phrase in the phrase manager? That is suppose to removed it.

aying

I had my forum flooded with spam before usually from russian IP's sometimes In germany and china. After upgraded to 3.8.0 I manage every registration to activate manually and so spammers can't post or deleted once in a while. But the problem is they keep on registering to my forum.

j0nty07

icon9.gif
No options in the vote list for me.

I altered the 'Powered by' phrase, so that it now reads, 'Powered by Fossil Fuel'. Whilst this action has not gained any attention from spammers, it does appear that it has gained attention from the environmentalist campaigners who are harassing me to go green.

bulletin

wow i was not knowing that only vbulletin gets spammers on there site lol it does happens even with ipb, smf, phpbb. there is no difference even if you use vbulletin software or ipb, smf, phpbb. Spammers will still come and ruin your site, the best way i do for my site is admin approval, i always keep settings on for admin activation during signups, so only i would be able to activate any account that signups on my site. That stops bots to spam on my site.

kush28

i took my powered by vb out and some of the spam stop but the normal ppl that sign up to spam continue a little bit.
but now xrummer is gettin though captcha so expect spamming to be high again but again not many ppl will be able to buy it coz its around 500$.

.v0id