Some questions about piping emails to a php script

hafidh6

All,I'm trying to set up a system whereby emails sent to a certain address get piped to a PHP script for processing.Thanks to StackOverflow, I've found this on-point article:http://www.evolt.org/incoming_mail_and_phpHowever, I've got a few simple/stupid questions about it:First, in that article, you edit the /etc/aliases file and add an entry that looks like this:\[code\]script: "|/usr/bin/processingScript.php"\[/code\]Does that mean that the email address you'd use is "script@[mydomain].com"?Or, if I wanted the email address that I'd use to send emails for processing to be "[email protected]", then the entry in the alias file would be:\[code\]processthis: "|/usr/bin/processingScript.php"\[/code\]As an aside - should the entry actually have quotes around the script name, or is this just a typo in the article?Next question... should there actually be a mail account on my server with this address? In other words, should I create a "[email protected]" account? (This is a really dumb question, but I don't understand how aliases work).Next question... I've read that when you edit the aliases file, you should run "newaliases" or "sendmail -bi" to tell sendmail to rebuild it's aliases database.However, on my server (a MediaTemple DV server), there's no "newaliases" program, and "-bi" does not appear to be a valid parameter for sendmail. When I try it, I get this:\[code\]sendmail: usage: sendmail [ -t ] [ -fsender ] [ -Fname ] [ -bp ] [ -bs ] [ arg ... ]\[/code\](I realize that this might be a MediaTemple question, but maybe someone here has some insight...)Many thanks in advance!Cheers,Matt Stuehler

Back