sizing frames

liunx

I'm I missing the boat on frames?<br />
<br />
Are you not able to fix the size of frames so they do not distort the contents? In attempting to solve this I read somewhere the contents will shift if two colums use fixed sizing (say cols="100,100"). Is this true?<br />
<br />
What I'm trying to do is build a page with three frames (seemed so simple!) - top, and bottom with bottom divided into left and right sub-frames. I want my graphic in the top frame not to be resized nor the nav bar in the left. To avoid text content from spilling beyond 640 pixels I set the right frame to 500 pixels (640 minus nav bar). It seemed to work OK until I maxed the window and found the text in the right frame spilling to the edge of the window well beyond of top frame boundary.<br />
<br />
How can I truly fix the size of the frames so when the browser window is resized it does not distort the contents of the frames? Use tables instead?<!--content-->like this?<br />
<br />
<frameset rows="100,*"><br />
<frame name="top" scrolling="no" noresize><br />
<frameset cols="100,*"><br />
<frame name="lbottom" scrolling="no" noresize><br />
<frame name="rbottom" scrolling="auto" noresize><br />
</frameset><br />
<noframes><br />
<body><br />
<br />
<p>This page uses frames, but your browser doesn't support them.</p><br />
<br />
</body><br />
</noframes><br />
</frameset><!--content-->Originally posted by bbon <br />
To avoid text content from spilling beyond 640 pixels I set the right frame to 500 pixels (640 minus nav bar). [/B] <br />
<br />
Apart from what Beach said you can use the following CSS in the rbottom frame page.<br />
<br />
body {width:500px;}<!--content-->Here is a copy of the code where overall size I'm looking for is 640x480.<br />
<br />
<frameset cols="640" rows="125,355" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0" > <br />
<frame name="topFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize src=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"titlebar.htm" ><br />
<frameset cols="122,518" rows="*" frameborder="no" border="0" framespacing="0" > <br />
<frame name="leftFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize src=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"navbar.htm"><br />
<frame name="rightFrame" scrolling="auto" src=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"content.htm" noresize><br />
</frameset><br />
</frameset><!--content-->i have been playing with this - resizing the browser with frames. i think what you want to do is resize the browser window but keep one of the frames (and therefore the contents) constant. my conclusion, it cannot be done.<br />
<br />
you second question - can you do this with tables? don't know - i have not really worked much with tables but i would assume you will have the same problem.<br />
<br />
let us know what you end up doing. i am sure others will be asking the same question in the future.<!--content-->Mayby you should provide a link to your page so we can really get a look at what you are doing and offer a good suggestion for how you should do.<br />
<br />
Eg if a table will do what you want then using frames is probably not at all what you want.<br />
<br />
If you are just looking for how to place a menubar to the left and a logoimage at the top the easiest to work with is CSS.<!--content-->

Back