Site Search Engine...

liunx

Anyone have an idea of what I need to build a search engine for an intranet site? <br />
<br />
I am trying to build an internal tech info site, and want people to be able to search for specific information.<!--content-->only server side language can do that. which one all depends on your server and which ones it can run.<!--content-->its only a fileserver - i don't know what it can run, and i don't think the network manager could either because i am the company expert (okay, you can laugh) for web-publishing<!--content-->no need to laugh, I have seen worse :D<br />
<br />
if you run webpages from it, it ain't just a file server. it has to have a server of some sorts on it. what kind of OS does it have?<!--content-->um... i think it is unix based. Is novell an OS? or just a network program? Unfortunately, the network guy isn't in today to ask.<!--content-->Aahh - my secret identity is now out!<br />
<br />
For some reason i though it would be an idea to keep work-related and personal posts seperate - kinda dumb huh<br />
<br />
i think i won't bother anymore - too much effort<!--content-->hmmm never realised you are the same person.<br />
<br />
anyway if it is unix then you might be able to use php and mysql. you might have to compile them and get it running if not on there already. and it shouldn't make a difference on performance if it is just a file server. unless the users seem to hit it pretty hard.<br />
<br />
Novell isn't a OS but a Network program. it runs on the OS.<!--content-->cheers scoutt - you are very helpful<br />
<br />
as to the php and mysql - my boss wouldn't let me buy any software for this, and "to make things a little easier for everyone" is not a good enough argument to get him to loosen the pursestrings.<!--content-->hehe Php and MySql are free.....<!--content-->:D :D :D :D <br />
<br />
I love that word.<br />
<br />
How do I get hold of either of them?<!--content-->www.php.net and <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mysql.com">www.mysql.com</a><!-- w --><br />
<br />
better make sure what OS you are on first because it makes a difference on what version of either one you get.<!--content-->cheer scoutt - you is a top bloke<!--content-->I guess that is better than being a seppo :D<br />
<br />
no problem, have fun<!--content-->a second question leading from this:<br />
<br />
can the site be run standalone from a CD? or does it require access to the server?<!--content-->if you are using serverside language then you will need a server. now I did see an app that would create an exe file that would run php from a cd without a server. I think the server was added into the app. looked very confusing on setting it up. if I remember what the name of it was I will let you know.<!--content-->thanks scoutt<br />
<br />
btw - what is a seppo?<!--content-->that is what the Austrialians call Americans. I think lol :D<!--content-->

Back