Simple question - Please help me with HTML code for download

liunx

Hello,<br />
I am trying to set on my site that when someone clicks on the link the file gets Download <!--more-->ed, so could you please tell me how.<br />
<br />
Now I have a simple link to the file and it opens the document inside the browser. I want only option to Download <!--more--> immidiately.<br />
<br />
Thanks.<br />
<br />
<br />
(Any way to do this with Dreamweaver? If yes, I still would like to know the HTML code myself, thanks again)<!--content-->It really depends on what the file type is.<br />
<br />
If it is an image like JPEG for example, then you cant effect how the end user views it. It is upto them like it or not, and there are very good reasons for that. It is a bad idea to play with the end users preferences.<br />
<br />
There ways around it though. You could ZIP the image and this would Download <!--more-->... but if it was a single image in a zip format I wouldnt Download <!--more--> it at all as it would seem very dodgy. You cant really compress a JPEG much more than it is already and thus I would question the purpose of the zip.<br />
<br />
What kind of DOCS do you want the punter to Download <!--more-->?<!--content-->think of it this way:<br />
as the end user, YOU have control over how your browser reacts to filetypes... you could force it to use an external viewer, or prompt you to save it (this all depends on the browser make and flavor of course).<br />
<br />
so yeah: no. can't be done. really, it shouldn't be done. best thing that you could do is instruct people to right-click and "save as," or else just make it a ZIP file.<!--content-->The file types are either Word documents or Power point presentations. The site just has all the notes, etc from the teacher by sessions, no text in between.<br />
<br />
I do have a note saying how to Download <!--more--> the file, but people tend to click straight away without reading.<br />
<br />
I am only concerned because I have a small amount of GB transfer from my host and if they keep loading it all the time instead of Download <!--more-->ing my site could be frozen until end of month.<br />
<br />
Thanks again<!--content-->can you use htaccess files?<!--content-->I am not sure what these files are. I have access to the control panel of my web space provider which has lots of options.<br />
<br />
So it is not possible to make it Download <!--more--> on click? How come then so many Download <!--more--> sites allow you to Download <!--more--> on click?<!--content-->because they change the header of the file or the file is a zip. if you can use the .htaccess file then you can easily do what you want.<br />
<br />
need to find out though as most hosts don't allow it.<!--content-->

Back