Silly question!

I have a really silly question for you guys. How do most webmasters save their websites? As you know you can't save more than one index.html page on your local computer. Do you change the index name to something else and then change it to index on the server? Do you just save your different sites on disc or floppy and work from that? }:-)<!--content-->Inside the My Documents folder I have a Web Sites folder, inside which is a folder for each different site, the name of each of these folders being the name of the site.<br />
<br />
For each major revision of the site, I make a folder inside that, and the folder name here uses the date in YYYYMMDD format (so that they still sort into order whether you sort by date or sort by name in windows). The current version of the site is in a folder called current as well as in a dated version folder, dated as to the date of last revision.<br />
<br />
Inside each dated or current folder is a complete copy of the site. This copy has exactly the same folder structure as is uploaded to the web.<br />
<br />
I backup all the data every week or so, often sooner, and usually only keep the last 3 or 4 revisions on the work machine. The whole site history accumulates on the backup machine.<br />
<br />
Complicated, but straightforward - I know where every single revision of every single site is.<br />
<br />
If I have to update just one or two files of a site, then a shortcut I often do will avoid having to make a dated copy of the whole site into a new folder. I will rename the file and append the date in YYYYMMDD format to the end of the name, and have several close revisions of the file in the same folder.<!--content-->I do something very similar to Giz.<br />
In My Documents, I have a directory called 'Website Development', with a shortcut to it on my desktop for quick access.<br />
<br />
Every site gets its own directory in Website Development. When I'm about to make a significant change to a site, I start a new subfolder, and I'm finished, I burn it on a CD-RW for backup purposes. The CD-RW contains every version of my sites... I name its directories Jan16_2003, Feb01_2003, and so on.<!--content-->giz, why is it that you talk the talk but nobody has ever seen your sites? maybe you don't have all the tags correctly lined or in the correct order. :P maybe w3.org puked on your sites and you are ahsmaed :D j/k bud<!--content-->Hi Scoutt... giz gave some very good advice... give him a break... he finally came up with something truly helpfull.. (I wont even have to ask him to get a life this time !!!)<!--content-->hehe I know, I just had it come to mind and just blurted it out.<!--content-->:D This time Giz didn't even refer to the validator! What Giz referred to is exactly how I will start saving my sites. Thanks Giz and hang it there, you seem to be taking the heat this weekend. :P<!--content-->

Back