Should I use frames?

liunx

I have a site that I maintain, and I am thinking of a way to make some cotent of the page easily updatable. i could use frames for one part, and I am considering it. I have 17 or so pages to update, and so frames would be an improvement. Howeber, I am reluctant to use frames they just don't seem too professional to e, and I am trying for professionalism. I am not sure abut iframes. they aren't very browser compatible are they? My thought was to use a php include do i need to go that far? Any help?<!--content-->Originally posted by 2muchtime <br />
My thought was to use a php include do i need to go that far?That would be an excellent way to include your content. It will make it so you can update one single page and it will update the rest of your site.<br />
<br />
Originally posted by 2muchtime <br />
Any help?If you need help with the PHP include, I'd be happy to help.<!--content-->If do use a script it will most lekely be perl not that that is a bg difference, but something to note. But what I am really trying to find out is what people's opinions of frames and iframes are. I see the prectical application of them, but I don't see many people who use them. I find them kind of annoying so if a script is my only alternative then I guess I will do that<!--content-->I'm using frames on my site right now, but I don't like frames either. I think i'm going to get rid of them, but that means I have to edit every page all over again. That php include sounds' pretty nice. I havne't learned php yet. Is it easy?<!--content-->Originally posted by 2muchtime <br />
If do use a script it will most lekely be perl not that that is a bg difference, but something to note. But what I am really trying to find out is what people's opinions of frames and iframes are. I see the prectical application of them, but I don't see many people who use them. I find them kind of annoying so if a script is my only alternative then I guess I will do that <br />
<br />
G'day. I agree with Pyro - an Include is usually the best/easiest/most flexible way to go. ASP for me, but same end result.<br />
<br />
However, if you need to use frames, use 'em. They're only taboo to those who don't do the proper groundwork. The oft-cited objection about frames being search engine unfriendly is substantially true, but is it a real impediment? Again, not if you do the right thing.<br />
<br />
There is an interesting article on this at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/frames.html">http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/frames.html</a><!-- m -->. Note all the "Frames Resources" at the end of the article.<!--content-->thanks for that resource, it was interesting, but it seems that I am still not hearing what I need to encourage frames, they are nice in some respects, but in the end, they just aren't what I need them to be. My only problem now is I don't know hp or perl<!--content-->A PHP include is quite easy to do.<br />
<br />
Be sure to name file to a .php extention...<br />
<?PHP<br />
include("yourfile.htm");<br />
?><br />
<br />
That's all there is to it!<!--content-->How do I test php when it is not on a server, but on my syste?<!--content-->You need to install a testing server. I personally have Abyss Web Server running on my computer. After the server is running, you will need to install PHP. It really isn't hard...<!--content-->as far as i know, the only reason for using frames is to have someone else's website display 'in' your website. i dont think there is any other (legal at least) way to do it.<!--content-->Frames are Ok (sort of) if..<br />
<br />
1. Your site lays out easily. No images straddling the frames<br />
2. No dropdown menus that may encroach into a different frame<br />
3. You are not concerned with search engines<br />
4. Remember you cannot bookmark a page, only the site<br />
5. If you link to an exterior page, include target="_top"<br />
6. There's no, or very little javascript.<br />
7. Do not change more than 1 frame at time otherwise the back button will give you unexpected results.<br />
<br />
Frames are OK?? Let me re-think that :)<!--content-->

Back