Should Emails have <mailto:> in them?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
When making the contact us section of a webpage, should links to email be an actual link, or just normal text?<br />
<br />
For example, <br />
you can reach Ian Nastajus at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:p[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --><br />
you can reach Ian Nastajus at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:p[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --><br />
<br />
When I click an email link accidentally, it launches Outlook Express, which is slow to load (10 painstaking seconds), and not cancel-able (I have to wait for the dang thing to finish loading before I can cancel it). So I'm doing a poll (oops!). I want to know the averages of users out there who use this <maitlo:> link, ever, to reply in email. Or would they prefer copy-and-paste?<!--content-->poll, not 'pole'.<br />
<br />
Also, if possible, use some server side language to generate the email. As a last resort, use the mailto: in the href. its my opinion that you should link your email address. Its something we've come to expect on the web.<!--content-->the only problem I see with the mailto: is that is how the spam bots get your email.<br />
<br />
so I would go with the serverside programming.<!--content-->Should I be worried about posting my regular email like this <!-- e --><a href="mailto:p[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --> in HTMLforums? Can this thread be 'harvested'?? Should I be using my pseudo email, <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->?<!--content-->never over estimate peoples online knowlage. Some people i talk to at school or even my step father dont even know how to copy or paste something. You should always act as if your viewers dont know how to do anything on a computer.<br />
<br />
make your web page, computer aliterate people proof. (tongue twister)<br />
<br />
just dont accidently click that link.<!--content-->i would choose a form. Often user can't use that mailto-links becouse opened Mail-programs like Outlook are not standard used proggie.<!--content-->Originally posted by scoutt <br />
the only problem I see with the mailto: is that is how the spam bots get your email.<br />
<br />
so I would go with the serverside programming. <br />
<br />
wow<br />
i never realised that<!--content-->

Back