Shopping Cart Not A Shopping Cart

liunx

Ok I have a client that wants a shopping cart type of code for their products. They need the visitors to be able to chose the products they want and this info is to be emailed to the company showing ONLY the products they want. The catch...no CGI. Their provider doesn't know how to set the permissions to add the cgi form and the client prefers the info to come in email format to them. Any ideas where to start on this? I mean it is going to be a combination of drop down lists, pages for each product, they want pictures added as well for each product. No money transactions will take place, only the products they pick will be EMAILED to them. Help!!!<!--content-->Think again... it would be so much easier with a serverside script.<!--content-->Nope it can't have anything to do with server side. The isp doesn't know how to set permissions to allow CGI or anything else and the client wants this in an email format. I can create a shopping cart type page but is there any way that when the user clicks on add this will go into another html page where they submit this info?<!--content-->then that will be a lot of work for both of you. if products change then you have to redo the whole page. are they able to edit the html code? if so then why can't they do it themselves? also get a new host if they don't know how to setup there own equipment.<br />
<br />
you will have to use mailto: which is very buggy in all browsers especially NS. besides that is not very professional anyway. not sure they will get the emial how they want in the fashion they want. there isn't a way you can do what they want without cgi or another form of serverside programming.<!--content-->Originally posted by crazy_cat <br />
Nope it can't have anything to do with server side. The isp doesn't know how to set permissions to allow CGI or anything else and the client wants this in an email format. I can create a shopping cart type page but is there any way that when the user clicks on add this will go into another html page where they submit this info? <br />
<br />
Somethings can't be done and somethings aren't meant to be done. In your situation both of these things apply. Inform your client that it can't be done in this manner. Believe me, this will only lead to frustration and dis-satisfaction on everyones part, including the people trying to purchase the products. My sincerest advice is that you diplomatically turn down the job if at all possible.<!--content-->Yeah I did turn it down. Thanks for all the help!!!<!--content-->

Back