Setting a background image

windows

I am a total newb to html, self taught from online tutorials, and experimenting etc, but the only way I'll learn is to ask questions<br />
My problem is this. I have a table with 3 columns. In the middle column I am trying to place a picture as my background but itdoesnt fit so it repeats itself. Is this a problem I need to resolve with photoshop by changing the picture size or is there some kind of html code I can use to center the image as a background image so it doesnt repeat? If it is a case of photoshop how do I know what size to make the picture seeing as I made my tables using precentages. The left and right columns are 20% and the center is 60%. Heh the more questions I ask the more that I bring to mind...so much to learn<br />
Also are there any books on HTML you guys might recommend to a newb like me or any good online tutorials? Thanks for your time in advance ;)<!--content-->You can do it with style.....<br />
<br />
<STYLE TYPE="text/css"> <br />
BODY { background-repeat:no-repeat;background-attachment:fixed;background-position:center center;background-image:url("piraat.gif") } <br />
.im{ background-repeat:no-repeat;background-attachment:fixed;background-position:center center;background-image:url("piraat.gif") } <br />
</STYLE> <br />
</HEAD> <br />
<br />
In the td:call it with class<br />
<br />
<!-- Row 1 Column 2 --><br />
<td valign="top" class="im"><br />
2<br />
</td><br />
<br />
:rocker:<!--content-->You can control the background with Cascading Style Sheets.<br />
For your table, it would look something like this:<br />
<br />
<table border="0" style="background: #FFFFFF url('your_background.jpg') no-repeat;"><br />
<br />
This site (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/cssbg.html">http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/cssbg.html</a><!-- m -->) does a great job at explaining it in more detail.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
[edit] Looks like we posted at the same time, Peter. :P<!--content-->GREAT! Thanks a lot guys I will try these ideas out :)<!--content-->Originally posted by Arctic Dragon <br />
<br />
[edit] Looks like we posted at the same time, Peter. :P <br />
<br />
Yep...<br />
it is 1 oclock in the night.<br />
Still i dont know if this is PM or AM :D <br />
:rocker:<!--content-->theres easier ways to do it, think, but use those, cuz I'm not sure.<!--content-->

Back