semi-transparent colour on a table?

liunx

-RESOLVED-<br />
I have a background image on my table, and I have a few <TD>'s scattered about the table. I want to colour a few of the <td>'s in a colour... but I also want the background image to show through partially. So I was basically wondering if it's possible to tell a browser to have a semi-transparent bgcolor on a <td>? do i need the 'style' tag?<br />
thanks people :cool:<!--content-->In IE, you could use the alpha filter (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/samples/author/dhtml/DXTidemo/DXTidemo.htm">http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/samp ... Tidemo.htm</a><!-- m -->), though it won't work in other browsers and is not a part of the CSS1 or CSS2 specs...<!--content-->ah right... one thing that might be quite key (that i forgot to mention) is that the page i want the transparency to occur on is actually on an intranet over a windows server network... do you think that code would work if i put it onto the server and different computers tried to view it?<br />
<br />
thanks pyro<!--content-->It should work as long as they are browsing with IE 5.5+<!--content-->thanks pyro, you're the don.<br />
i'm having a slight problem with that microsoft website you gave me... is it possible to exclude the text (that is within the td) from the filter span?<!--content-->I believe the filter applies to the element and all it's children, so the text will also be transparent. Here's an example:<br />
<br />
<div style="filter: alpha(style=0,opacity=25); width: 300px; height: 150px; color: #990000; background-color:#99ccff"><br />
<span>Some semi-transparent text/background.</span><br />
</div><!--content-->ah i see... it's a bit annoying if the text is transparent. anyone know of a way that i might exclude the text from the div tag? i tried just swapping about the tags here and there to no prevail... :confused:<br />
thanks again pyro :cool:<!--content-->I believe if you put the text in a div/span of its own within the td, and define the opacity from there, you should be able to get the result you want (ie, set the td's opacity to 40 and the text's opacity to 100, this might not be true though<!--content-->No, I tried that before I posted, which is what led me to say "I believe the filter applies to the element and all it's children, so the text will also be transparent."<!--content-->This will fix it:<br />
<span style="position:relative;">Semi-transparent background normal text.</span><!--content-->thanks pyro, you rock<br />
edit: thanks fang... and pyro! :rolleyes:<br />
<br />
[RESOLVED]<!--content-->Umm... that was Fang... ;)<!--content-->ummm i also need help<br />
:confused: <br />
wer would i put this "<div> . . . . </div>" tag in?<br />
do i have to put this tag inside the "<table></table>" tag?<br />
or <td></td>? or <tr></tr>? or somwhere out this tags?<br />
:confused: plz help me<!--content-->

Back