Seeking an elegant solution to the conversion of XML to an HTML tree view using XSLT

Lonewolf1

(I have researched this question extensively but not found an adequate solution yet.)I am using XSLT to convert a series of XML files to a 'tree'-like HTML document, where the parent-child relationships between elements is reflected with indenting.The solution below works fine but it's too verbose, and we also need to accommodate adding a few newelements to the schema in the future.What's a good general-purpose solution that will do what we need? I've seen recursive solutions online where a "depth" variable is used and is incremented and passed in as a parameter, and used to drive the indenting level; this seems to be a common pattern however I could not get it to work for me.Thanks.So my data files look like this:\[code\]<document> <metadata> <version>1.0</version> <date>1/1/12</date> etc... </metadata> <trackdata> <tracks> <track>123</track> <track>456</track> etc... </trackdata></document>\[/code\]And the XSLT (Note the different values for the text-indent at the different levels):\[code\]<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"><xsl:output method="html" indent="no"/> <xsl:template match="@*|node()"> <xsl:apply-templates select="@*|node()" /> </xsl:template> <xsl:template match="metadata"> Metadata: <xsl:apply-templates/> </xsl:template> <xsl:template match="version"> <div style="text-indent:3em">Version: <xsl:value-of select="text()"/></div> </xsl:template> <xsl:template match="date"> <div style="text-indent:3em">Date: <xsl:value-of select="text()"/></div> </xsl:template> <xsl:template match="trackdata"> Track Data: <xsl:value-of select="text()"/></div> </xsl:template> <xsl:template match="tracks"> <div style="text-indent:3em">Tracks: <xsl:apply-templates/> </xsl:template> <xsl:template match="track"> <div style="text-indent:6em">Track: <xsl:value-of select="text()"/></div> </xsl:template>\[/code\]etc...

Back