Scrolling text over a fixed image

liunx

I have journal page I want to set up so that the text from an entry will scroll up a fixed image (looks like the page of a book). I have been poking at it in Front Page but not having the success I would like. I have a 'small bit of a clue' with HTML and have coded the table/iframe myself. What ends up happening is the image displayed in the table ends up tiling when the text is scrolled. <br />
<br />
<body><br />
<br />
<table border="0" align="center" width="380" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" ><br />
<tr><br />
<td width="368" height="490" src=http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/"images/bookL.jpg" ><br />
<iframe src=http://www.htmlforums.com/archive/index.php/"text.htm" width="350" height="475" scrolling="auto"><br />
</iframe><br />
</td><br />
</tr><br />
</table><br />
<br />
</body><br />
<br />
<br />
Any help is appreciated <br />
:)<!--content-->Use this CSS instead, to prevent the image from tiling, and to make the text scroll over it:<br />
<br />
background: url('your_background.jpg') no-repeat fixed;<br />
<br />
<br />
Feel free to ask if you need more help. <br />
:)<!--content-->This replaces the old <body bgproperties="fixed"> instruction, which only ever worked in the Infernal Exploiter, as it was yet another example of browser specific code. It is good that the newer CSS way provides a way to do this for all (modern) browsers.<!--content-->Thanks for the two replies... They pointed me in the right direction (CSS2 standards) and while my result may be a bit of BF&I it works for what I want it to do. :)<!--content-->This might make it easeir. Do a table with a background image. The use this code:<br />
<br />
<marquee>your text</marquee><br />
<br />
Only works in 95% of browsers tho... will that be enough for you... sorry eeeckkk what i mean is it only works in explorer.<!--content-->What I ended up doing was using CSS2 standards to setup body background image fixed. When I used a table background image , I couldn't seem to get the table background to NOT tile. But it is working nicely now as a table with a long cell that contains the text, background is black and image stays fixed so that the cell scrolls up (black text) and 'seems' to be scrolling just on the page... When I get it published maybe I'll post the url... ;)<!--content-->I hope you realise that CSS 2.0 isn't supported by most browsers yet... so if you are looking for mass appeal I might wanna concentrate on css 1.0.<!--content-->Thanks for the head's up... Hmmm... So is this too 'fancy' for most browsers?<br />
<br />
BODY { background: black url('images/bookL.jpg') no-repeat fixed 50% 10%; }<br />
<br />
TD { background: transparent }<br />
<br />
P{ font: 12pt\14pt;<br />
font-family: arial, helvetica, "sans serif" }<!--content-->No that looks fine, I haven't a css 1.0 ref with me but from experiance that looks acceptable. CSS 2.0 allows you to do many more things than this with a far greater level of control. CSS 1.0 is fairly simple and basic when compared to css 2.0.<br />
<br />
I thought you were going to be using the advance aspects off css 2.0 so this looks ok.<!--content--><grins> I'm not that 'edjamicated' ;) ... yet... I have some programming background but it is a bit rusty and I haven't had any formal HTML instruction... It is a bit frustrating to know what I want to get to but not always having the tools to get there. Thanks...<!--content-->

Back