scrollbar on the left side on a modal window

liunx

Hello<br />
<br />
I know that if I write the following:<br />
<html dir="rtl">...</html><br />
Then the browser automatically flips everything in the page to be right-to-left, including the scrollbar.<br />
<br />
I was trying to do the same in the code that I am displaying inside a popup modal window which was triggered using:<br />
window.showModalDialog()<br />
However, it seems like the browser is not willing to place the scrollbar on the left even if I set the dir attribute to "rtl". Everything else but the scrollbar gets flipped.<br />
<br />
Is this a bug in IE? (I am using 6.0).<br />
Can anyone know how I can acheive the same effect in a modal window?<br />
<br />
thanks<!--content-->This is not a bug. The scrollbar's position can not be altered.<!--content-->Originally posted by Fang <br />
This is not a bug. The scrollbar's position can not be altered. RTL will not flip a scroll bar, fang is correct. You might be able to find some ie only dhtml/css/js that can move a scroll bar (because I recall seeing an annoying scroll bar on the left side back in the day), but it will most likely be strictly ie only proprietary, much like how you can color scroll bars in ie today. I highly doubt other browsers would support it. The scroll bar is part of the browser gui and is not meant to be tampered with.<!--content-->If you set the dir attribute to "rtl" for the <html> tag, then the browser will be positioned on the left for a regular page.<br />
It seems like this is not the case for a modal window.<!--content-->I have never seen that before, but it will only work in IE.<br />
A modal 'window' is not a window as such, more like an alert box.<br />
You will have to add dir="rtl" to the document that is loaded in the modal dialog box.<br />
You can also reverse the scrollbar on a form select.<!--content-->

Back