Screen Res and other evil things

liunx

Hi,<br />
<br />
As most of us agree the majority of i-net users are using an 800x600 res setting for their monitors. (hopefully over the next 24 months this will change since panel screen monitors are becoming cheaper and the "must have bigger better things than before" perception of consumors is more prevelent, then we should see 1024x768 & 17" monitors become the norm...even though Scoutt probably won't change his setttings.)<br />
<br />
What if i design a web site with 8x6 res setting for the splash page and upon clicking the 'enter' button it opens a 10x7 window? will that cause visibility issues with 8x6' res monitors? will their monitors be able to see the entire window or will they have to click/drag the window around to view all of it?<br />
<br />
No wait, wouldn't it just resize it to their res settings? i cant believe i'm forgetting this.<br />
<br />
Thanks,<br />
Gandalf<br />
:D<!--content-->if you have a fluid design then yes it will resize, a fixed design will not :)<!--content-->Well, I think what Thee Gandalf is trying to say is that if he uses JavaScript to open a window at the sizes of 1024x768 on a 800x600 screen, will it change resolution or not? The answer is no. Web sites CANNOT change settings such as screen resolution. The window would just be much larger than the viewable area -- making it extremely annoying for users.<br />
<br />
Also, I believe site designers will have to live with 800x600 for MANY MANY years to come, if not forever. Remember -- the major internet generation is relatively young now, but when all of the developers get older, and all the original web "gurus" age, not to mention the general population -- they will use larger resolutions because of degrading eyesight and the such.<!--content-->

Back