"sava as" in IE

liunx

Hi,

I need to write a program to save a file from the server (over internet) to user's local machine when the user click on a link or an image.

If I am right, the concept might be the same as those IE prompted "save as" or "open" dialog. Is this right? But even it's true, how could it be done? I need to have the automatic saving to a folder which I would create. So everytime the user click on the link or image, my program will automatically save the particular file to the folder I create and direct to. I am pretty new in this area, so i would be grateful if any help given to me.

Thanks in advance,

M.i dont think you can save files to user's local machine, except cookies, i'm not sure of my question but i think it's not possible.not sure if this would fit ur need:

suppose a file named "thisFile.txt" is locate at the same directory as your website.

<a href=http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/archive/index.php/"thisFile.txt"> click here to view/Download </a>

as you can see, if u have a naming convertion (i.e 1.txt, 2.txt, 3.txt)
then you can run a loop .... (for i = 0; i < (max value); i ++; ) i.txt
put that under the <a> tag....You can send a header to the local machine to prompt them to Download a file. It would be like when you go to Download .com and you visit a page and then you get prompted to Download a file but if you are not prompted they have the link as a backup.

Back