Salted hash to be passed through URL for persistent login without cookies

allgenresaace

I am producing a script that others will put in their websites. It is designed for people with limited knowledge of PHP so that all they have to do is include() the script and set a few configuration variables. This means headers will probably have been sent already and so using sessions may not work. I recommend they call session_start in their own scripts, but I want a fallback option as well.I already have a hidden input to deal with forms, but I also need links to have a query string appended to their URIs to identify the session. But if the hash is based only on the password+salt then there is a security risk: the logged-in user could click an external link and the owner of the external site could see the URI with the hash in their referrer logs. All they'd have to do is used that hash and they'd be logged in.Therefore I want to salt the hash in a time-sensitive manner, limiting a session to 10 minutes. I can't figure out how to do this. Of course I can use time() to salt it, but how do I check how old the session is based only on the hash?

Back