[REQ] Cron Based E-Mail Sending

El Intocable

Cron Based E-Mail Sending

vBulletin 3.7 Version
Please remember to click Mark as Installed if you use this modification.
Support questions from members who have not marked this as installed will be considered low priority.

In default vBulletin if you send a large number of e-mails, vbulletin either puts them in it's queue and then attempts to send them as each user visits a page, or just simply tries to send them straight away (This is the case when you use the Administrators email users inteface).

As a result of this your server can become seriously overloaded very quickly - so sending several thousand e-mails (like a newsletter) can become very difficult (hours spent clicking 'next' in the ACP) - as a result of these problems, this very simple modification was born.

This modification does two things ;

1. E-mails from the ACP inteface are sent to the mail queue, not straight to the mail system.

2. The processing of the mail queue is set-up as a vb cron item.

Obviously for this to work, you must turn on e-mail queuing in the ACP options - set 'Use Mailqueue System' to 'Yes', and 'Number of Emails to Send Per Batch' to a realistic value (based on the cron setting, as below).

There are two realisitc options for the cron job, you can either set it to run every minute, and set the items to be processed to something small (like 10), or you can do what this modification does by default and set it to run every 10 minutes, and set the items to be processed to something larger (like 100).

Remember, 10 per minute = 600 per hour, 100 per 10 minutes is also 600 per hour. The numbers really depend on how quick you want large queues processed, and how much your mail server can handle in one go.

Once working, when using the ACP mail users inteface, remember you can set it to process 9999 at once (not 500 or whatever) as the mails will now go into the queue, not be sent directly.

Note: This modification will affect any queued e-mails such as subscription e-mails. It will not affect registration e-mails as they bypass queuing anyway.

This modification includes the code by Antivirus that displays the current size of the mail queue (v3.7.002 onwards).

Version 3.7.003 has the option to add a small delay before each e-mail is sent (between 1 and 9 seconds). Use this option carefully.

History:
v3.7.001 : First Release for vB 3.7
v3.7.002 : Added mail queue size display code.
v3.7.003 : Added option for a delay between the sending of each e-mail.

unlockboxthis

hello, I have a doubt, I hope you can help me.
my server only allows me to send 200 emails per hour,
and I have about 900 users in this file that posts,
there will be a way to configure it so that I could send mail to users
without a server tell me that I can not send 700 emails missing????

mmmxiv

unlockboxthis said:
i all ready instal this mod on my forum!!

Mate, you installed the earlier mod, which is the vBulletin 3.7.x version, I simply uplaoded the 3.8.x as per request of another member in the thread. As for your problem, I don't know, I'm sorry.

bluescorpion

unlockboxthis said:
hello, I have a doubt, I hope you can help me.
my server only allows me to send 200 emails per hour,
and I have about 900 users in this file that posts,
there will be a way to configure it so that I could send mail to users
without a server tell me that I can not send 700 emails missing????

You set the cron job to run 199 per hour and in three or so hour, it should clean out your mail queue.

unlockboxthis

jeje i set this, send 25 email every 10 minuts emails to send inmediatly 9999
and work great, my server no are receive mail say mee email rejected jeejeje