Relative positions with images and other questions (help the newbie)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Greetings... I have a site on Geocities that I would like to make better... I am currently using Word to design my site. I also have publisher but I do not know if this is better...<br />
<br />
Anyway #1 Do I have to type the whole image address when I make links and/or images. If not do they have to go in a folder?<br />
<br />
#2 Is Word or Publisher a better program? I have frontpage express as well... I'm not familiar with HTML as much as I would like to be; I know how to do the basics by hand. Go to my website and see what I have done by hand back in 1997.... I only added some more things recently.<!--content-->1) You can use relative links "image.jpg" in the same folder, or "images/image.jpg" to go into a folder called images. Alternately "../images/image.jpg" to go up a level in the folder tree.<br />
<br />
2) Try converting to frontpage, though I think I'd choose word over publisher for reasons of how much extra coding they both put in to slow down howyour site loads.. Alternately, buy a decent html editor Namo webeditor is apparently quite good and quite cheap. Coffeecup.com have a free one. <br />
<br />
dave<!--content-->Originally posted by DaveSW <br />
1) You can use relative links "image.jpg" in the same folder, or "images/image.jpg" to go into a folder called images. Alternately "../images/image.jpg" to go up a level in the folder tree.<br />
<br />
2) Try converting to frontpage, though I think I'd choose word over publisher for reasons of how much extra coding they both put in to slow down howyour site loads.. Alternately, buy a decent html editor Namo webeditor is apparently quite good and quite cheap. Coffeecup.com have a free one. <br />
<br />
dave <br />
<br />
Okay so if everything is in one place, I don't have to add all of the address... what about links do I have to do anything there?<!--content-->If the files you are linking to are in the same folder system (be it further down the tree, up the tree, or in the same folder) there's no problem. Link in the same way. <br />
<br />
Look out for monkeys hiding in all those trees lol.;)<br />
<br />
dave<br />
<br />
PS everything I know has been learned since November. My first website was created in MS publisher in about 1997, after which I never once looked at website coding till last November. But then, I was 11 in '97 lol. Hope this encourages you to learn a little more about the web development. It's far more profitable than working in a supermarket on the weekends like all my fellow students do lol. It's also surprisingly easy to learn. Good Luck out there!!!<!--content-->

Back