redirect with timeout

liunx

I don't know if this is possible as I am not familiar with META tags. I would like some help with the following if it can be done.<br />
<br />
I want to create a web page that redirects to another host. However, I would like the redirection to time out and display an error page if the 'redirectee' does not respond. In other words if the redirection does not occur within a certain time I want to assume the host is down and display an error message.<br />
<br />
TIA.<!--content-->This would onl be possile in a server side language as PHP or Perl. If you have access to one of those post in the server side section.<br />
Good Luck,<br />
Paul<!--content-->Rats! I was afraid of that. Unfortuntely, I do not have execute permissions on the server this page goes on. That is why I was hoping there was a tricky way with just HTML.<br />
<br />
Thanks for the reply.<!--content-->What server are you using?<!--content-->Where I need the redirect is on the free web space provided by my ISP. No idea what server they are running. Without execute permissions there is no way to run a server side script or anything else other then pure HTML.<br />
<br />
The redirect works but my problem is the stock browser "page cannot be displayed" error that occurs when the 'redirectee' is down. I was hoping to explain to the user why they can't connect rather then have them think it is a broken link. I warn them on the page displayed during the redirect but it is not a very elegant solution and assumes people actually read it.<br />
<br />
Thaks again for the reply.<!--content-->Well, talk your host into giving you execute permissions ;).<!--content-->what does execute permissions have to do with serverside language??<br />
<br />
mayeb you could use a .htaccess file, but my guess is that you can't.<!--content-->Ohh, you mean when your main server is down you want the people to go to a different one, right? If that's the case you might be able to do this if you have a domain name with nameservers. Your free account will have to support name servers also. If it does just set the 2 name servers it gives you as the 3rd and 4th in your registar.<br />
Good Luck,<br />
Paul<!--content-->Not quite. Here's the skinny. I have my own server that is connected via DSL and PPPOE. Since the IP address changes frequently and my ISP does not support dynamic DNS I wrote a perl script that FTP's a redirect web page to my free web space. This is part of the server start-up script.<br />
<br />
This allows me to give out an always available URL. When my server is up the URL will load the redirect page with the current IP address for my own web server. Thus the desire to somehow add a timeout to the page in my free web space to provide a sensible message when my server is down.<br />
<br />
I did have one thought but I don't know how it works. I believe there is a META timeout value for user response. Since the user is not entering data but waiting for the redirect to complete, is there a way to use that if the redirect doesn't occur within a certain time?<br />
<br />
I appreciate the patience and time you are spending trying to understand my attempt to explain what I am doing.<!--content-->I don't believe there is a meta tag that is a user response? can you show us which one it is?<!--content-->Sure. I don't really understand it all but here's what I was look at:<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://asis.web.cern.ch/asis/products/GNU.MISC/metahtml-5.04/metahtml_7.html">http://asis.web.cern.ch/asis/products/G ... tml_7.html</a><!-- m --><!--content-->that has nothing to do with meta tags. that is another language that connects to a database. it is called Meta-HTML not meta tags<!--content-->This might not be the advice you want to hear but I say get a hosting account. You can get them for as little as $5 a month and they have more then enough features you will need. The problem with running your server on DSL is that it's slow and and not reliable (the IPs changing). You will pay more on electricity hosting your own server than if you were to buy some hosting space. If you need recommendations search the domains & web hosting board, you will find lots there. If you don't want to do this I'm afraid there is nothing that can be done in your situation as the main server always has to be up with a static IP to redirect to another site.<br />
Good Luck,<br />
Paul<!--content-->Thanks again for the reply. I figured I was in trouble from the first reply. This is really a test and development server. It will be accessed by only a couple of people at any one time (its only a P2-133) depending on what is being tested. Like I said earlier, it is not really a big deal, I just hate loose ends.<!--content-->

Back