Reasons not to use iFrames

liunx

Hi, I'm new to the board:cool: and I've noticed that you guys aren't real fans of iFrames so I'd like to know why it is best to avoid them.:confused: <br />
<br />
Thanks.<!--content-->google "frames evil"<!--content-->It was invented by M$ and can confuse the user and they were removed by XHTML 1.1.<!--content-->why did you have to throw that invented by ms in there lol. Overflow-x overflow-y was invented by ms and that is some nice proprietary code that I would like the w3c to catch on to.<br />
<br />
I aggree frames are evil... I can't get to the content when I browse on lynx when I am at a frame site.<!--content-->i think frames WERE good, but there are better things that have replaced them<!--content-->frames were never good, because back in the day there was even less support for them. Server side includes have been around for a good long while too.<!--content-->no you're wrong<!--content-->Originally posted by IncaWarrior <br />
no you're wrong <br />
Wow... that was blunt... happen to have an explanation? Because I certainly can't remember a time when they were good... Hell, Jakob Nielson (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html">http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html</a><!-- m -->) has been saying that since 1996<!--content-->sorry about that, i was going to add an explanation and got side tracked<br />
<br />
IFrames were good (and still are to some extent) when you want to change just a small part of the page, say when you have a poll running and you want it to update just that part of the page so the user can continue to read the page. The fact that they could change was what was good since SSI only loads once. Also, since the <object> tag doesn't work in all browsers (umm IE) IFrames are a good way of loading another page onto your page without giving it the same properties.<!--content-->But the content in that iframe is inaccessible to a lot more browsers then just audio braille and opera. Iframes are still a rather recent creature. SSI is a better alternative and SSI was around since before the iframe. The scripting doesnt even need to be on the part you include as you can use a form action or remote script, and then it may only be a tiny form, you can style it with a style sheet, we are not talking about a lot of bandwidth. I would say iframes are a yucky solution. About reloading the whole page, if its in their cache it should not be that big of a deal.<!--content-->

Back