Question: Page Margins

liunx

I am relatively new to HTML and web publishing. I write my own code, one <tag> at a time.<br />
<br />
Recently I was publishing a daily reports while on vacation. It was all text and pretty simple as shown below. The general form I have always used is this: <br />
<br />
HTML<br />
HEAD<br />
TITLE<br />
/TITLE<br />
/HEAD<br />
BODY<br />
<br />
TEXT...TEXT...TEXT<br />
<br />
/BODY<br />
/HTML<br />
<br />
Some of my readers were telling me that there were no margins on the page they were getting. They were having to use scroll bars to read the long lines. Others were having no problems like that. I would check the pages using my I.E. browser internally and it looked fine. Also when I viewed the pages coming back from my site at CS they also looked fine. I had no way to see what they were seeing and what the problem actually was. <br />
<br />
I decide to try putting all the text in a one cell table and modify it with a width statement. That seemed to cure the problem.<br />
<br />
Then discovered the body tag modifier (marginsSTYLE ="MARGIN:0px 0px;padding:0px;") That also seemed to solve some of the problems. However, I tried MarginsStyle on another page and while it worked locally, when I viewed the page from the web it had no effect at setting margins.<br />
<br />
The major part of my question here is what is the best way to reasure that readers get a margin with my pages? <br />
<br />
1)Body tag with style<br />
2)Table <br />
3)Other<br />
<br />
PS there is a lot I dont know about HTML but I have some good books for reference so I can look up what yu tell me.<br />
<br />
<br />
Tks for your help<br />
JRM<!--content-->use this instead of style tags. that way Netscape will work as well.<br />
<br />
<BODY topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><br />
<br />
<br />
also it is best to use width and height attrib in the table tags, usually 100% will work fine for all browsers<!--content-->

Back