Prompting a specific browser to open

liunx

Hey there. My specific problem is that I am designing a self-loading on-disk website for my personal CD-rom business cards. The web design works great in Internet Explorer, but doesn't perform the same functions in Netscape (such as full-screen capabilities), and thus, doesn't look as nice. Is there a way to promt a website to open up in a Specific Browser?<!--content-->Not that I have heard of. One thing you can do is just get a copy of mozilla and rework your site to work with mozilla and ie. The only sure fire way is to actually have it work in most browsers. You know it doesnt work well in all browsers so why are you just designing for ie. What if the user did not have ie on their machine and only had netscape, would your script work then?<!--content-->not all users have different browsers, i have msie, ns, mozilla and opera as i am a web developer, but basic users will only have one or two at most<!--content-->I have the option of signing an agreement with Microsoft that will allow me to distribute IE on my discs, I'd just prefer to have a prompt that allows me to select a browser.<br />
<br />
<br />
I would rather not design a different platform for IE, Netscape, Mozilla... or whatever else may be out there. I may end up reformatting the thing to suit a dozen different browsers. And then the original question still pops up: How do I make it open in a specific browser? Like a menu that allows people to select which browser they have. Evidently it's not possible right now. I guess the only way I could do this, realistically, is to just do it all in flash. But then, not everyone has installed flash. I think it's rather difficult to make a site work for every single operating system out there.<br />
<br />
(And yes, the site does work in Netscape. It just does not use the java script which makes it full screen)<!--content-->You cant. Like I said before, it is going to open in whatever the default browser is. You cannot put client side code into an html file and have the browser read that a certain browser needs to open it before the browser reads it. You know what I am saying? You cant put code telling which browser to read because a browser would have to read that code for that to happen. One thing you could do is make a vb application and use the iewebbrowser control its a dll circulated after ie 5 came out. Anyways it will open your site using ie thought a whole pretty much, no url address bar none of that its just a window to your page that reads code like ie. But it would require the knowledge of vb to make it work and a working copy of vb6.<!--content-->I understand. Please bear with me... I'm not a coding professional. The visual design is more my bag, so this has been a challenge. <br />
<br />
I understand the concept of the computer being unable to see the code before the page is up (as in it's not been Download <!--more-->ed yet so it can't see thin air). What about making a front page viewable in any browser, that has a link that pulls up a specific browser? I did find the scripting that allows me to send IE people to one site, Netscape people to another, and Other browser people to another site. I just didn't want to have to redo the site again is all. Anyway... Thank you for the help so far. If I've sounded ungrateful... I didn't mean to. I'm just frustrated right now. :P<!--content-->By the way... Homestar Runner is cool.<!--content-->That it is :)<!--content-->Basically java script or any web language has limits on what it can do. Selecting a specific browser is out of its limits. You can design a page that will redirect a user to a page build for their browser but you cant say open this browser here for this page and this one for this way. I have never seen that done atleast and I do not believe it is possible.<!--content-->So why not put browser detection on your main index, with a message saying 'Please view this site in IE if posible for the best visual experience' to be displayed if it's anything other than IE? Anyone who wants to can then switch browsers.<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_browser.asp">http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_browser.asp</a><!-- m --><!--content-->alternativly you say the full screen doesnt work in ns why dont you edit the script and make it work then at least it would work fine in both most popular browsers?<br />
<br />
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp">http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp</a><!-- m --><!--content-->

Back